Was wondering if there are any SJers out there that maybe have some knowledge of how mountains are formed........the mountains around Sapporo all mostly have a distinct knuckle-like look to them, very interesting to look at but I've no idea how they were formed.

You're actually after a geomorphologist Tubby. They look at how landscapes have been formed rather than just what the rocks are made of. Thursday's claim a simple google search will find you the answer isn't so easy as far as I can find. I suspect you'd need to search in Japanese rather than English.

Looking at Mt. Teine (don't know if this is one you had in mind), Wikipedia says it was formed by volcanic action during the Pliocene era (5-16 million years ago). It is part of the Nasu Volcanic Belt, which extends from Rishiri all the way down to Mt. Asama on the Gunma/Nagano border.

Perhaps others around it may be similar, with "knuckliness" being the result of millions of years' worth of erosion?

Looking at Mt. Teine (don't know if this is one you had in mind), Wikipedia says it was formed by volcanic action during the Pliocene era (5-16 million years ago). It is part of the Nasu Volcanic Belt, which extends from Rishiri all the way down to Mt. Asama on the Gunma/Nagano border.

Perhaps others around it may be similar, with "knuckliness" being the result of millions of years' worth of erosion?

Cheers MO, Teine is in the same range but not the one I was meaning. All around it are little triangular peaks that look like knuckles when u bridge your hand at snooker....they are pretty cool to look at for some reason

Cheers MO, Teine is in the same range but not the one I was meaning. All around it are little triangular peaks that look like knuckles when u bridge your hand at snooker....they are pretty cool to look at for some reason

Can you find the names of some of them (on the SnowJapan map or something)? Could then see what is written about them.

Would guess they are all volcanic, though, with just a question of how old they are.

Though personaly (myself) I am more interested in these type formations

63-boob-mountains.jpg

:lol:

The mountains on the way to Karuizawa are indeed very cool. Would like to get up close to those.

Asama on the other side ain't half bad either.