The FOOTBALL Thread (2013-2014)

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Even before we get those fixtures, let me begin by confidently predicting that it'll be out year.

I've only seen the goals but the Toon look wide open at the back for all three. Other fans are comparing it with the 6-0 loss to Liverpool last year. Nice goal by Cabaye, but it sounds like Everton were cruising more than anything.

If things don't pick up in the next four to five games, I reckon it'll be curtains for Pardew. As things stand, next up looks like Joke In 'ere.

That's not meant to begrudge Everton anything btw. Barkley looks a great prospect and Lukaku is a coup. Loaning out the fifth top striker from last season strikes me as madness. Loaning out Victor Moses is bad enough.

I've only seen the goals but the Toon look wide open at the back for all three. Other fans are comparing it with the 6-0 loss to Liverpool last year. Nice goal by Cabaye, but it sounds like Everton were cruising more than anything.

If things don't pick up in the next four to five games, I reckon it'll be curtains for Pardew. As things stand, next up looks like Joke In 'ere.

When do you play Man Utd?

That'll be 3 points in the bag for you.

;)

Moyes 'rejected' Fergie advice

David Moyes rejected Sir Alex Ferguson's advice to retain his Manchester United backroom team, according to Eric Steele.

Former United goalkeeping coach Steele was axed by Moyes in the close season, along with assistant manager Mike Phelan and first-team coach Rene Meulensteen.

Moyes chose to bring Chris Woods, Steve Round and Jimmy Lumsden with him from Everton, whilst also appointing former United and Toffees midfielder Phil Neville in his first full-time coaching role.

United's 2-1 home defeat by West Brom on Saturday means the club has now made its worst start to a league season for 24 years.

With the pressure already on Moyes right from the start of his Old Trafford reign, Steele has now revealed how the summers changes were handled.

"He spoke to me, Mick and Rene," Steele is quoted as telling fanzine United We Stand. "I told him I thought it was a brave decision.

"He listened to the manager's advice, but he wanted to be his own man."

Gary Neville (son of Neville Neville) reckons Moyes will be Uniteds manager long after most of the current squad move on.

Yeah, probably Peterborough United

You wonder though how much influence Fergie'll have.....he recommended him and he will be mindful of the rocky start he had, albeit under much difference circumstances, sure gonna be an interesting season

This weekend on Skyperfect

Saturday 8:45pm

Man City vs Everton

Saturday 11pm

Liverpool vs Crystal Palace

Saturday 1:30am (Sunday)

Sunderland vs Man Utd

Sunday 9:30pm

Norwich vs Chelsea

Sunday 12am

West Brom vs Arsenal

Jack Wilshere has responded to claims that he was snapped smoking outside of a London nightclub, posting a picture of France legend Zinedine Zidane on his official Twitter account smoking while also writing: “But for the record….I don’t smoke!”

The picture was published in today’s copy of The Sun, leading to Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger admitting he will speak with the England international about the incident.

“I disagree completely with that behaviour,” Wenger said at his press conference this morning. “I don’t know really what happened, I need to have a chat with him about that.”

“There’s two things: first of all, when you are a footballer you are an example, and [second] you don’t do what damages your health. But when you do it in public, you damage your reputation as well.”

However, Wilshere responded to the criticisms by posting the picture of Zidane in what appeared to suggest a comparison that if the former Ballon d’Or winner could smoke while becoming the best player in the world, then why couldn't he.

The 22-year-old was quick to post a second comment though, reaffirming the earlier statement that he wasn’t a smoker and that he was only doing it in the picture for a joke.

An earlier statement by a spokesman of Wilshere’s said: “Jack was with team-mates and friends. “One dared Jack, who does not smoke, to momentarily hold the cigarette as part of a prank.

“Jack absolutely didn’t smoke the cigarette and nor does he condone smoking. Jack is utterly committed to fitness and a healthy lifestyle. In no way is this picture an accurate reflection of his attitude to smoking.”

What crazy, mad pranksters!!!

This weekend on Skyperfect

Saturday 8:45pm

Man City vs Everton

Saturday 11pm

Liverpool vs Crystal Palace

Saturday 1:30am (Sunday)

Sunderland vs Man Utd

Sunday 9:30pm

Norwich vs Chelsea

Sunday 12am

West Brom vs Arsenal