Anyway, the guide guy I'm looking at is an american rider that takes you on the Hakkoda and shows the sweet spots apparently. What certifications.licenses do you think are necessary?

The qualifications vary a bit depending on which country they trained in. I would recommend searching online and looking at a few guiding company websites to get an idea of what qualifications they should have. I would like to give you a link as an example but Dave would prefer me not to give a link to a guiding company, sorry.

They should have as a minimum something like a CAA Avalanche Operations Level 1 certificate (level 2 would be better) and some sort of first aid training such as Wilderness First Responder training. It is also important how much experience they have guiding people.

Just keep in mind that if the guy in Hakkoda doesn't have proper training, he is just some guy showing you around. You are placing your life in his hands so I would want to be able to trust his decision making skills in avalanche terrain. You can also learn more about safely moving through avi terrain by spending time with an experienced and qualified guide.

While you are waiting for winter I would recommend reading Bruce Tremper's Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just pulled the trigger on a 2012 Libtech Birdman 180cm Yay off season prices.

• SnowJapan Admin

Look.

Can you please stop making it sound like we're 'the bad guys'.

Read the guidelines.

If you don't like them and can't live with them, don't post.

I think we're pretty consistent in saying that we don't mind if people choose to do that.

But if you like being here and want to be part of it, which is great, then we ask that you please accept our very few 'rules' - and more importantly please don't keep on making a fuss and giving us grief about them.

I'm not going to go into a discussion on this whole subject as it's been done before and it is nowhere near as simple as some people who dislike it choose to believe.

We don't annoy a few people with this kind of thing just for the fun of it, you know.

End of that particular subject.

Sorry, Tachypsychia.

I'm about to send you an email with some information. :friend:

Very similar to me. Then you have gear and pack weight on top of that.

Dont go shorter than 170 with your board, you will thank me one day lol.

I ride a few different boards all of which are 180, its easy to throw a big board around when you are our size and the float you get is insane.

Awesome, that's what I'd figured. I have a few boards lined up, just waiting to see which one drops in price a bit over the summer then I'll jump on it, or maybe several =-)

Just keep in mind that if the guy in Hakkoda doesn't have proper training, he is just some guy showing you around. You are placing your life in his hands so I would want to be able to trust his decision making skills in avalanche terrain. You can also learn more about safely moving through avi terrain by spending time with an experienced and qualified guide.

While you are waiting for winter I would recommend reading Bruce Tremper's Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain.

I've talked with him and done some research into the qualifications necessary. He's actually a really awesome guy, has done a bunch of snow analysis and avalanche training, etc, but he's going back to the states in the fall, so he won't be out there to guide me. He did say he'd hit me up when he came back later in the winter to ride, but it'd be a buddy ride as opposed to a guided tour. I've got a few names he reccommended me (locals that speak great english) plus some others to look at.

I'll definitely get that reading material. Sounds similar to the cold weather training I did while I was active duty out in Washington State.

I'm about to send you an email with some information. :friend:

Thanks David!

• 3 months later...