Yes I am going back to Niseko WV, but Thredbo first - where I shall learn to ski.

I'll be a groomer girl for a while I reckon.

For POW I'll take out the board ;)

good choice.

I have a new set of skis for oz.. elan pinballs. 175cm x 85mm.

pinball.jpg

When you are in Thredbo, say hello to the snowboarding patroller, keith for me. say Sutiboo says hi..

Koko, the Line Poaching Ski Ninja :lol:

It seems like this is the year for cross overs... Heaps of people I am talking to are having a go this year, be it ski or board.

It seems like this is the year for cross overs... Heaps of people I am talking to are having a go this year, be it ski or board.

Which do you think is easier to learn MB my wife has given up on snowboarding?

I'll let you know at the end of the season Seemore ;)

I found snowboading hard to pick up but I was battling a few things...

Fear of heights, no idea how snow worked, lack of physical fitness and being an aged scaredy cat.

I am also quite a 'rententive' perfectionist when I pick up a new skill - so I was determined to do it right, and stuck with it until I felt very confident with my skill level.

Snowboarding will always be my POW day fun - for sure.

But I am ready for a new challenge.

I no longer have to battle the fear of heights, lifts, speed, snow, mountain rules etc.

I also now have a personal trainer minimum 3 times a week to keep me fit enough to tackle the mountain.

All I have to do is learn how to make those ski's go where I want them to.

So it will be simpler to cross over than to learn from scratch.

Having said that:

I have done 2 ski lessons last season.

I was at the beginning of my health crisis so my strength was not great, and may have led to less than optimal learning.

The first lesson was a waste of time and I hurt myself because the instructor spent an hour trying to get us (a group of 40+ yr old newbies) to get up while skis were on ON THE FLAT! He wouldn't take us up the lift until we could show him we could. I asked instructor son to try it the next day - and he couldn't do it either.

The second day my son took us out and I was getting the hang of stem christies quite well on a beginner slope.

I think skiing is definitely easier to get going on.

But probably harder to get good at.

Cheers maybe I should put her on a set of skis

You can only but give it a go.

She will do better with her own boots - whether they are snowboard boots or ski boots.

Unless she has incredibly average feet that have zero complaints in uncomfortable shoes.

One of the biggest turn offs for me crossing over was the feel of the horrendous boots I hired - and the skis were not much better.

I reckon I will progress MUCH quicker this season with my own boots and skis.

I'll let you know at the end of the season Seemore ;)

I found snowboading hard to pick up but I was battling a few things...

Fear of heights, no idea how snow worked, lack of physical fitness and being an aged scaredy cat.

I am also quite a 'rententive' perfectionist when I pick up a new skill - so I was determined to do it right, and stuck with it until I felt very confident with my skill level.

Snowboarding will always be my POW day fun - for sure.

But I am ready for a new challenge.

I no longer have to battle the fear of heights, lifts, speed, snow, mountain rules etc.

I also now have a personal trainer minimum 3 times a week to keep me fit enough to tackle the mountain.

All I have to do is learn how to make those ski's go where I want them to.

So it will be simpler to cross over than to learn from scratch.

Having said that:

I have done 2 ski lessons last season.

I was at the beginning of my health crisis so my strength was not great, and may have led to less than optimal learning.

The first lesson was a waste of time and I hurt myself because the instructor spent an hour trying to get us (a group of 40+ yr old newbies) to get up while skis were on ON THE FLAT! He wouldn't take us up the lift until we could show him we could. I asked instructor son to try it the next day - and he couldn't do it either.

The second day my son took us out and I was getting the hang of stem christies quite well on a beginner slope.

I think skiing is definitely easier to get going on.

But probably harder to get good at.

"the instructor spent an hour trying to get us (a group of 40+ yr old newbies) to get up while skis were on ON THE FLAT!"

That is one of the most ridiculous things I have heard - you should have reported that dickwit to the head instructor. And what makes it worse is that you actually have to pay the goose for torturing you all?

Get up on the flat indeed :angry:

I can't thats why I only ski on the steeps.

Nice ski's BTW

:lol: Yep. 20/20 vision in hindsight SnowJunky.

We all just felt deflated and like failures.

It wasn't until the next day we realised he was asking something next to impossible. (That he made look simple!)

Unfortunately that was the end of the road for a few of the girls - they didn't enjoy, so went for hot chocolates instead.

Those of us that persevered, and got some decent advice, progressed and had a great time.

The cub laughed, told us the guy was a sadistic idiot and showed us how easy it was to take one ski off, get up, get stable and click back in.

So simple.

Couple of minutes and we were set.

That's the difference between an instructor you get mileage with and one you don't!

He just needs to land a job and stop giving free lessons to his mother.

Which do you think is easier to learn MB my wife has given up on snowboarding?

IMO its easier to get going on skis than it is on a board. Boarding takes a little longer to catch the basics and you spend it on your arse a lot, whereas skiing you can pretty much start "riding" fairly quickly. That said, I don't mean you start pushing Olympic records, but it feels like you are skiing far quicker than it feels you are boarding....if that makes any sense :lol:

I think the 2nd skill will always be a quicker progression because you already understand snow, resorts etc. And you are probably fitter and more mentally prepared.

I'm still pretty nervous about making the transition :lol:

I don't think so as the movement on the snow is different. I wasn't really that good at boarding when I started to ski so I don't think it made much difference to me