We are lucky to live less than an hour from Wilsons Promontory National Park in Victoria. The promontory terminates at the southern most point on the Australian mainland and it is a spectacular park. My daughter and I went down for a little walk today. It was a bit chilly and windy but at least it wasn't raining. The most spectacular parts of the park can only be accessed by multiday hikes or you can sail to them but even this little walk out of Tidal River, which is a major camping area of the park, is pretty nice.

8750516312_13056e3c52_c.jpg

Beautifully coloured lichens cover the granite rocks in Tidal River

8750513130_48f8985251_c.jpg

My daughter enoying our little adventure

8750522944_7676f93205_c.jpg

Looking back across the river to the main camping area with Mt Oberon in the background.

8749348975_68bb951774_c.jpg

Norman Beach

8750508236_3e509f1b92_c.jpg

Norman Beach from a bit higher up

8750503904_7ecd19e620_c.jpg

Kei out on windswept Pillar Point looking back towards Norman Beach and Mt Oberon.

8750498764_2528c97447_c.jpg

On the way out of the park we came across this group of emus just off the side of the road.

8750519104_ab071ebb20_c.jpg

Met a couple of Emu's walking down the Main Street in Exmouth, WA. Coming back from the supermarket, across the road, 2 emu's walking up the street like it was perfectly normal!! :lol:

I use to hang out down that way (use to hang out at Kilcunda a lot) years ago and it definitly is a nature lovers paradise. Highly recommend going there if you get to oz and you like that sort of stuff. As GN says be careful with weather, it is in Victoria and the weather can make or break your trip. Apart from the walks and emus, I have fond memories of other wildlife such as parrots that can be hand fed, wombats that walk through tents at night, wallabies and echidnas (you wont see these often in the wild - very shy). Echidnas are my favorite

Oh! Saw something on TV re: emus. The reporter was lying down on the ground, very still and reckoned the emus would come up very close because they are so curious.I can't confirm, never tried and he didn't seem to have much luck.

Rucky I did a 4 day hike around the Prom some years back and at one of the campsites we set up camp and went out for a walk along the beach. Upon returning to camp a wombat had managed to get into our tent, open our backpack and was munching on our food. The tent had been zipped up and the backpack clipped down. Somehow the wombat had got into both the tent and pack without damaging them. Amazing! Unfortunately the only wombats I saw on this trip were dead ones off the side of the road that had been hit by cars.

YEah, good records shots of the place and your girl enjoying the place.

Emus are a PITA out in the country west of the dividing range - they (and kangaroos) eat a huge amount of the grain grown out here, devastating for the farmers, and lots of income lost for them.

Frankly, I couldn't be bothered taking pics of them, they are not that uncommon.