The end of season snowfall totals at the end of the daily resort reports for each resort shows that Nozawa had 8 metres aprox and Kagura nearly 16 metres , so twice as much. Nozawa is quite close to the ocean as it can clearly be seen from there on a clear day but looking at google maps Kagura appears to be further east so would expect it to have not as much snow. I thought Nozawa was pretty amazing for snowfalls so if Kagura has truly twice as much snow I will have definitely have to go there. Any ideas if this correct and if so why so.

• SnowJapan Admin

As we note on the "about" pages for our reports, it's very difficult to compare things like this at face value.

http://www.snowjapan...r-daily-reports

For example, the base of Kagura is much higher than the base of Nozawa, and that is where our reports are being posted from.

The resorts themselves post numbers from different areas of the mountains - Nozawa gives specific numbers for five different parts of the mountain, whereas Kagura only divulges one.

The reports are "correct" in that they are being posted by people there and then who are reporting what they see with no inclination to mislead. Though no doubt another person may say 15cm when another says 20cm and another says 22cm etc....

To get a clearer picture of what's happening generally, I recommend reading through the actual reports themselves, and looking at the snowfalls that are posted within the reports both on lower and upper slopes.

Basically both get tons of snow.

• Like 1