the 253 and the 353 (driving from Yuzawa / Minamiuonuma to Nagano)

I was thinking of using one of these roads to get from my house to the ski resorts north of Nagano city and was wondering what they are like in the winter. I went to Madarao a couple of weekends ago, but having the fam with me, I decided to drive the long way around towards Tokyo and back up.

I have a 4WD K-car with snow tires and am experienced in snow driving. Would these roads be crazilly slow going? or are they OK? Any info would be appreciated.

Both are mostly just fine.

I have never had any problems using either in winter when I go over to Nozawa or beyond* (353) or over to Tokamachi. Lots of people use that road from Muikamachi to Tokamachi every day. They can get dodgy on the few full on blizzard days in a season, especially the Tokamachi road when taking a few hours is not unheard of, but I seriously doubt we'll be seeing any more of those this season!

Both are quite windy, lots of turns, and don't really have many chances of overtaking and so if you get stuck behind a truck it can be annoying.

I live very close to 253 but even from here in Muimakachi, if I'm going over to Nagano I'll usually drive down to Ishiuchi and use the 353.

If you are coming from Gunma, then you should definitely use the 353. It's clearly signposted on Route 17 near Ishiuchi. From that junction in decent conditions you can be at Nozawa in about an hour.

* remember I don't go skiing in a blizzard ;)

Both are mostly just fine.

I have never had any problems using either in winter when I go over to Nozawa or beyond* (353) or over to Tokamachi. Lots of people use that road from Muikamachi to Tokamachi every day. They can get dodgy on the few full on blizzard days in a season, especially the Tokamachi road when taking a few hours is not unheard of, but I seriously doubt we'll be seeing any more of those this season!

Both are quite windy, lots of turns, and don't really have many chances of overtaking and so if you get stuck behind a truck it can be annoying.

I live very close to 253 but even from here in Muimakachi, if I'm going over to Nagano I'll usually drive down to Ishiuchi and use the 353.

If you are coming from Gunma, then you should definitely use the 353. It's clearly signposted on Route 17 near Ishiuchi. From that junction in decent conditions you can be at Nozawa in about an hour.

* remember I don't go skiing in a blizzard ;)

I had a feeling you would be the one answering my question. Thank you very much! :)

You're welcome.

If you are coming by the expressway just get off at Shiozawa Ishiuchi and head towards Route 17, turn left onto Route 17 and look for the turn right onto 353. It's only about 2km from the IC exit.

Or you could get off at Yuzawa to save a few extra yen. That's probably only a few extra km on R17.

In fact if I were you, if the roads are clear I'd do that and get off at Yuzawa IC.

They're building a new road/tunnel to get rid of 253, or at least make it a backup. It can get very bad in mid winter, but usually it's not a problem just lots of turning.

You might remember the explosion they had in the tunnel on the Muikamachi side last year which has delayed it a bit.

When that opens though it should make Muikamachi to Tokamachi about 20 minutes.

There almost always seems to be some kind of road works going on either side of the tunnel separating Ishiuchi from Kiyotsu.

I can't remember when it has ever delayed beyone a minute or two though.