None of the greats, but some good ones.

Saw the Psychedelic Furs in London, with some new, unknown band called Flock of Seagulls opening for them. When Flock started playing, I thought, "Oh dear, these guys herald the death of New Wave." Later turned out I was right. Sigh.

Also saw the Pretenders in their prime (original line-up all still alive). And The Cure in theirs.

Elvis Costello at the Greek Theater, somewhat after his prime, but still in good form.

• SnowJapan Admin

The Smiths, 20 July 1986, University Of Salford

Had a stonking headache that morning but willed myself to be good in time for the gig. Definitely a classic!

Was also at the classic gig at Preson Guild Hall when Morrissey got hit by a coin/cup/sausage/piece of bacon during the first song and the gig was cancelled.

I was at the "first rave to be shut down using the powers of the criminal justice act"

Im pretty sure i wasnt. But it was around then so we claimed it. It was in a forest called slaley woods in Newcastle. We arrived around 20 minutes before the police raided it. Bloody mission to find it as well.

Other than that, saw metallica during the black album tour (more importantly with suicidal tendencies in support), slayer in the decade of aggression tour with er, wtf? Wolfsbane?, anthrax and public enemy in the bring the noise tour. Sepultura and paradise lost in nottingham supporting chaos ad. oooh! I almost saw rage against the machine just as they took off at dusseldorf but it was sold out when we arrived. And im absolutely sure i WOULD have seen the clash of the titans tour, (slayer, megadeth and anthrax), but i cannot find a memory for it.

ETA: 1990, i think i missed it. Im pretty sure my first real gig (slayer) was 1991.

The Smiths, 20 July 1986, University Of Salford

Definitely a classic!

Marr always said that was The Smith's best gig.

That uni hall never saw anything like that before!

I used to like I dunno what its called, maybe alt rock, so most of the gigs I saw with bands near peak are for that.

Nirvana supporting Tad 1989

Pixies, Surfer Rosa and Doolittle tours

Sonic Youth, Daydream Nation Tour with Mudhoney, two gigs

MBV, maybe 1989

Dinosaur Jr, with Steve Albini's band Rapeman, some dodgy gay club in Chester (no Manchester venue would put Rapeman on for the name)

Lots of other John Peel music, Loop, Spacemen 3, The Fall etc.

I saw a lot of reggae and funk gigs too but the only one near peak was Public Enemy, Nation of Millions tour.

I don't think any of them were over six quid.