Please bear with the n00b question here from someone who has just this season discovered the joys of snowboarding with his 2 young sons…

We had planned to head to Yuzawa this upcoming weekend, mostly because it’s a relatively short drive from where we live in western Tokyo, but I’m somewhat dismayed to read that it’s supposed to get so warm later in the week. As this is our first season doing any kind of snowboarding/skiing and we've been lucky with our half-dozen trips so far condition-wise, what should we expect in warmish conditions? I’m guessing the base layer will still be there, but that it will probably be very wet and slushy?

Thanks for you time!

Hi sivartmac

and welcome

:wave:

Yes it looks like it is really going to warm up this week.

If the forecasts come true you can expect rather heavy sugary snow conditions, I reckon. There'll still be tons of it, there's no worries about snow still being around, it's just what quality it'll be.

Slush is alright actually. Its rather fun especially if youre learning. Its like the less fun cousin of powder. Beats cold, icy, crud. If its warming up it means a decent chance of a bluebird as well (and a nice goggle tan). Spring boarding is decent for groomers especially. Off the groomers it gets a bit heavy and nasty without a decent pitch on it. But since youve just started youll probs just be riding the goomers, so itll be a blast. :)

If your kids are little, you might find the beginner runs you've been on too flat as the snow turns to slush.

The upside is you can try a different part of the mountain that might have been too difficult before.

Spring slush can be fun but if you're all beginners, make sure you're wearing clothing with decent waterproof ratings otherwise you're going to get a wet a**e!!! ;)