i'd say i went around april 4th or so of last year. for that time of year, i thought the conditions were excellent. you'll likely have very good weather too... if you've got a car, then you can hit the snow monkey place either on the way in or out. (i believe it's down the mountain near yudanaka/yamanouchi town itself). if you are driving, the road up can get icy, especially nearer the top and in the tunnels even. but that time of year it should be in decent shape for the most part. enjoy!

I found one guy at Villa Alpen who has taught internationally.
We head to the Captains place Villa Alpen on Tuesday.Lots of good reports about them.Shiga's our best kept secret.
  • 1 month later...

Sorry to beat a dead horse....but how do you guys feel about snowboarding/skiing during spring? (Late March/April) I've never done it, so I want to get out there and board with some shorts/light pant and a shirt (if possible). I'm sure it will be slush/sub par conditions, but seems like it would be a good time to get out there with no crowds & nice weather.

I like slush. Its a cruiser day. Its shit if its always slush, but so long as it aint swimming pool conditions (with massive puddles all over the resort and at the lifts), its all good. Basically nice soft conditions, fun to try out new shit and just butter around. Off piste turns to treacle though. You pretty much need to stick with the groomers, and preferably a reasonable pitch in the mid to high teens. Lower than that and you might as well start wading down the mountain.

The first time i really felt i was progressing was thanks to a slushy day on iimori. Not soaking wet slush, just super soft. Had a great time just trying to throw out spins and learning to ride switch. I think that affects the way i think about slush.

Two things to watch out for though - 1. Your base is going to lose its wax FAST as hell if you do venture into the trees. Its literally like rubbing a wet cloth on it for 20 minutes. Second, your goggles get shitted up and youll be tempted to start ****ing about with them. Resist the temptation or buy a shitty cheap pair for spring that you dont mind destroying. 3. I guess as a bonus, youre going to get wet as mentioned in the other thread. The later in the season, the wetter youre gonna get.

• Like 1