Looking at going to spend some quality time at Myoko and have a couple quick questions if I may.

Am I best staying at Akakura Onsen?

If so how do I get to the following resorts to day trip? Are there regular buses? Am I better off having a hire car or perhaps moving a couple times when Im up there?

Akakura Kanko (Akakan)

Suginohara

Madarao/Tangram

Seki Onsen

Togakushi

Ryuoo Ski Park

Thanks

Pete

• SnowJapan Admin

Hi Pete, welcome back.

Please remind yourself of our links policy.

We do have information pages on resorts on SnowJapan, you know....

Onegai shimasu. Ta.

Looking at going to spend some quality time at Myoko and have a couple quick questions if I may.

Am I best staying at Akakura Onsen?

If so how do I get to the following resorts to day trip? Are there regular buses? Am I better off having a hire car or perhaps moving a couple times when Im up there?

Akakura Kanko (Akakan)

Suginohara

Madarao/Tangram

Seki Onsen

Togakushi

Ryuoo Ski Park

Thanks

Pete

Hi again Pete - this may turn into a Sunny Coast thread - Roscoe is from Coolum

In answer to your questions

Akakura Onsen is definately the best place to stay good but compact village plenty of drinking and eating options to walk to. Not as many as Nozawa but not a lot less.

From there you can ski/board across to Akakan easily and you can also catch the regular shutttle bus to Ikonotaira and Suginohara (free with your lift ticket) and the semi regular bus to Seki (to three times a week I think)

There is no regular transport to

Togakushi

Ryuoo Ski Park

Madarao/Tangram

The guys at Myoko Snowsports often organise a guided trip over to Madarao ( 40 minutes) so pop in and see them at the near the bottom of the Chuo lift at Onsen.

sounds good will keep in touch.Have not been on the forums much in the past year been very busy with work and family.But have enjoyed every ones storys humor and stirring. Some thing ever change which is great. and Snowjunky wealth of wisdom.

yes Pete - can personly reccommend = Akakura Central hotel in Myoko - virtually ski in ski out and a very friendly an helpful staff (some engrish speaking) - don't be surprised if you end up with complimentary sake and sushi while there

And of course there are plenty of other options here http://www.snowjapan...otel/index.html

Catch up would be good - I will pm you my details

• Like 1

yes we did and then to Shiga - 3 weeks all together

I just sent you a pm but not sure id it went? - have not done one before. Can you let me know if it doesn't arrive in the next 30 minutes

Hey Pete! Welcome back to the forums!

Akakura Onsen, Akakura Kanko (Akakan) are connected and you can buy a shared pass. I don't usually go to Onsen though because it is small. They do however have an outdoor bbq set up for lunch which is worth the trip. Ikenotaira is the next resort down the line and Suginohara (quite a big place) is just a little further. As mentioned there are shuttles between the resorts.

Seki Onsen is quite close as the crow flies but the most direct route is not passable during the winter. Driving there is quite a bit further... maybe 30 minutes if I remember correctly. It's quite a small place... I've had really mixed experiences there. It's good after a big dump and lots of backcountry possible with a guide. Otherwise you might find it a waste of time.

Togakushi is a great little place with a lot of potential. It's kind of tucked in behind Myoko so takes a bit to get there, maybe an hour or so. I think you'd have a really hard time getting there without a car. If Japanese food is your thing they have the best tempura soba (buck wheat noodles) of any ski resort.

Madarao / Tangram is about 45 minutes away. Pretty good place that is making an effort to open powder areas. It's not that big but pretty rangy. On clear days you can see a lot of the nearby resorts like Myoko Kogen, Nozawa Onsen, etc.

Ryuoo is a great one run resort. Fun place for a day or so. If you stay there a lot of the accommodation is ski in ski out. It's got a pretty young snowboarder vibe to the place.

You're also in the neighbourhood of Nozawa and it would be a shame not to stay there for at least two days. The resort is pretty fun and the town is great.

As for accommodation at Akakura Onsen, the places that I have been to and would recommend are the Akakura Akarien (no English unless something has changed, short walk to the hill), Akakura Kanko Hotel (expensive but a nice experience, ski in ski out), and the Daimaru Hotel (short walk). I've also stayed at a bunch of budget places that fit the bill for a ski bum but not sure I would recommend them unless you are on a tight budget. I've also heard good things about the Canadian House (bit further away), but I've never actually stayed there.

I just sent you a pm but not sure id it went? - have not done one before. Can you let me know if it doesn't arrive in the next 30 minutes

Hey mate, no PM. If you like email me. its my user name on here @hotmail.com

Thanks BM. Great info.

Pete.

Could you tell us when you have received that email from snowjunky, along with the time, and also at the same time let snowjunky on here that you have replied to him. (So that he knows to perhaps check his email).

You then do the same snowjunky, when you receive the mail that pete sent.

Just so that we all know the fine details of the status of the email exchanges.

It's very interesting so I'm keen to be up to date on that.

:thumbsup:

Arrive at about 8am Sat 8th mate. Have to overnight in Nagano as will get in too late for the last train :( Yeah lets hope its pow every day. Hopefully we'll catch up for a beer too. Sounds like there may be a few SJF members in town then. Maybe a gathering one night?

• Like 1