Yes, you can "hike up to Mt Annupuri from a friend". It depends where your friend is. If he is near the top, it might only take a few minutes. If he is in Sapporo it may take weeks!

(sorry...I can't resist a wise-ass crack now and again)

Side note - I was onece told that Annapuri is an Ainu name for the mt and therefore it doesnt get a yama or san after it - its just "Annupuri" - though it might be a bit hard for us to understand what your talking about if you didnt put mt before it... I dont know what my point is.

Mogski:

Beacon: X1

Probe: Ortovox Carbon240

Saw: BD (tucked inside of the shovel)

Shoe: MSR Denali Ascent

Last time I used skis w/ skins. But I have to tell you it was not an easy hike.

Side note II: In Ainu, Nupuri means mountain. You can see by Chise Nupuri, Iwao Nupuri, etc..

Can`t do that now. When I was up there a couple of weeks ago there was a notice saying because they found a crack up there hiking to the top is forbidden til further notice(I reckon probably for the rest of this season). \:\(

Thats interesting.

There are a lot of "cracks" around in Hokkaido this season. We had an early winter so the first snow was quite heavy and wet in many areas. This flattened bamboo which usually acts as an anchor. In many areas Ive been in Hokkaido this season Ive seen large cracks formed by snow creeping on a smooth layer of bamboo. I could see down to the gound a few times!

As spring approaches and more water penetrates the snowpack Id say we will have to be very careful around these spots.

Perhaps the crack at annupuri is caused by the same thing.

hey...

so can someone explain what exactly a crack means as far as mtn. safety?? When I was at niseko hiking the peak, I definetly saw a crack near the top...and during the 4 days I was there it got significantly wider...from a few cm's the first time I saw it to easily 10 cm's by the last day I was there...what are they? what do they do? are they bad?

thanks...

danz

As you observed yoursef Danz a crack like this indicates the snow is moving. If it moves slowly its not necessarily a problem but what if it lets go and all slides suddenly? Big trouble. Temperature will probobly be the major factor to watch, sudden warming in these areas should be a warning signal (not the only consideration though!) for anyone riding near slopes showing this kind of snow creeping.