Sorry for the super n00b question:

My wife and I are leaving for Tokyo/Kyoto/Niseko trip tomorrow and are planning a day trip (or 2) to Gala Yuzawa. We are bringing all our own gear and wanted to know how best to transport snowboards/gear on the train. Do we need to pack our snowboards and gear in snowboard bags or can we just carry them onto the train in our hands and wear our gear onto the train? We are planning a day trip during the week and don't want to mess up everyone's morning commute and don't want to look like total idiots who don't know what we're doing

We are staying near the Tokyo station, easily within walking distance.

thanks in advance!

If you go to the snowjapan page for Gala, then on to Gala's page, then choose English page. Once there check out the facilities. One option there is a way to courier your gear there, and pick up when you arrive. Means you don't have to carry it. Obviously there is a cost to courier it, but makes life easier than carrying skis/board on the train. Your hotel should be able to arrange it for you.

Sorry for the super n00b question:

My wife and I are leaving for Tokyo/Kyoto/Niseko trip tomorrow and are planning a day trip (or 2) to Gala Yuzawa. We are bringing all our own gear and wanted to know how best to transport snowboards/gear on the train. Do we need to pack our snowboards and gear in snowboard bags or can we just carry them onto the train in our hands and wear our gear onto the train? We are planning a day trip during the week and don't want to mess up everyone's morning commute and don't want to look like total idiots who don't know what we're doing

We are staying near the Tokyo station, easily within walking distance.

thanks in advance!

If you go to the snowjapan page for Gala, then on to Gala's page, then choose English page. Once there check out the facilities. One option there is a way to courier your gear there, and pick up when you arrive. Means you don't have to carry it. Obviously there is a cost to courier it, but makes life easier than carrying skis/board on the train. Your hotel should be able to arrange it for you.

its only a 90 min train ride! They'd have to courier it the day before......their hotel is next to Tokyo station IIRC, the gear goes on the shelf......its not a hassle at all. It'd prob be more of a hassle to courier them in this instance

IMO Yuzawa is the go for day trips. As Tubby Beaver said, get the Shinkansen, if you leave Tokyo on the first train you can be riding before 9. Mid-week you will have no problems with crowds but avoid Gala Yuzawa on the weekend, the bottom lifts get very busy and you spend all day lining up. If you do decide to go to Gala try to find the brochure that allows you to link the lift pass to Ishiuchi-Murayama. My preferences would be Kagura or Kandatsu. You can get to both by Town buses on either side of the station, I usually use the buses from the station bus area as they link with the trains (make sure you get off quick and get to the bus), they will get you to both resorts in under 20 mins.