The Flow thread is getting a bit long, and I wanted to ask another question.

Do you think it's possible to get snowboard boots and bindings that offer both complete performance and comfort? Or is there always going to be a trade-off? So far, I'm pleased with my Burton SI performance. But you've still gotta crank down the ankle strap to get full power on the turns, and that begins to hurt after a while.

Is there somebody out there 100% pleased with their boots and bindings, and if so, what have you got?

I think you'll find that the most expensive strap bindings have the most comfortable straps. Earlier this year I picked up some Burton CFX bindings reduced from 40,000 to 14,000 and the leather straps on them are great! I doubt people are paying more for less performance.

Good gear tends to be more adjustable than cheap gear, which means that it can offer more comfort and better performance, especially if you tighten your boots and bindings in keeping with the snow conditions and your riding style. Good gear is expensive though, so buy it in the sales if you can!

Read the following whilst keeping in mind that I have not been boarding for long enough to know what I am talking about:

The boards that I recently demo'ed had Nidecker bindings. I found them rather comfy and cushioned. However the high backs where really high (in line with the top of my boot) and they were too soft (after being accustomed to my v.stiff bindings).

I have flow binding and malamute boots. Both are stiff and I like the feeling. The boots let me really pull my heel into the boot using a velcro strap. Although I have started to become addicted to having a tight, stiff boot (so much so that I make them tighter and tighter as the day goes on). I am able to get in and out of the bindings super fast, unless I have them set to be very tight, which I dont do very often.

The problem with Flow bindings is that they are bulky on the board.

Ski bindings used to be straps, but no longer. All bindings on skis work on the same concept. All boots fit the bindings (more or less?). This is not the case for boarding. There are at least 3 different ways to attach the board to your feet, and boots are not consistent in their design (regarding how they attach). I am sure that people will claim that straps will become the standard. I am speculating on otherwise. Like the ski binding/boot system, boarding will converge on a standard that works, have no drawbacks and are standard in design concept.

As for laces on boots....

I like Burton system. This year's boots tend to be much better fit than previous models. To me, PSI is an improvement over SI, I like its rachet action rather than single "snap" which I often missed. PSI is less succeptable to snow clogging, too. On the other hand, Shimano Rapid Fire has problems of breaking at the most critical moment like rushing to carve the first powder tracks! A frined of mine uses Flow but he had hard time in back country in deep snow trying to get into them.

The only minor problem I've had with the Burton SI is that the Mission high backs are also quite high and so the back one has to be flipped down when getting on to the lifts. I discovered this was a problem when I broke the little clip thing at the back in Kiroro on the first day (fortunately the ski shop had spares). This combined with the need to tighten the ankle strap before a run and sometimes brushing the snow from the back plate, means that there is still a small amount of stuffing around at the top of a run. Still much easier than straps though.

Okay... I waited as long as I could.

Hearing all these stories of things breaking and being difficult to get into I am glad I love skiing!

Boots Raichle Flexon - most comfortable boot I have ever come across!

And I do sleep with them on! \:D

Keep up the thread cause all this stuff is great to know should I decide to switch sides of the fence.

Personally, from a non-sb point of view I really like the look, concept and apparent ease of flow bindings. Yes, I have checked these out in the shops many a time.

Can someone fill me in quickly on what PSI is? Normally I'd go and look at the Burton site myself, but it's too much hassle to look at manufacturer's websites these days.

My Mission SI didn't come with the little clips on the high back, and I'm glad they didn't. Easy up, easy down is nice (plus I wouldn't want them binking on my car roof on the highway!)

db, you don't find your Malamutes dig in in strange places? When I tried them on they felt like metal leg braces rather than boots. For me their sheer lack of comfort would have affected my performance in no time. I also think the convergence scenario is somewhat likely, having compared strap and SI. I find myself wondering if Kissmark maybe have the right idea with their SI system - the release (and the whole system itself in fact) is big like it is on ski bindings.

mogboard! I can't wait!

That is the thing with the malaumut. At first (in the shop) they felt as you decribed. No padding, strange lumps below teh ankle, no fluffy comfort at all. But after wearing them for 1.5hrs in the shop (he was getting really sick of me by then) they felt like part of my lower leg, not even like a boot on my leg. To ride in they seem to be more comfy as a direct function of the reduced comfort features that they have. This is just my guess though.

I think any good boot is still pretty susceptible to the hand of time. My Malamutes were most comfortable from about the 10th day to the 30th. Now they are getting a little loose and the tongue moves around making a mid day readjustment a necessity.

db - Don't ever think you will be able to go back to loose boots. The Malamutes are about as stiff as they come. Even the TM-Twos I tried on were like skate shoes in comparison.

I did a lot of boot shopping pre season and eventually decided I would be okay with a second season in these boots (Up around 60-70 days now). I am regretting that decision a little now. I have seen the Malamutes in a shop here but not the Van's I really want. Plus I have a really hard time paying full price for expensive gear.

Quote:
Originally posted by enderzero:

db - Don't ever think you will be able to go back to loose boots. The Malamutes are about as stiff as they come. Even the TM-Twos I tried on were like skate shoes in comparison.

Due to sheer stupidity I also own a brand spanking pair of TM-two's that I only used about 5 times. They were way more flexy than the 'muts.

After my recent 16 days in my boots in a row I have found that they have stretched quite a bit. The length is still perfect but by the end of each day I am really pulling on the laces to get the snug that I seem to like. I plan to get as many years as I can out of these boots and sit patiently for the BOA lacing system to hit 3rd generation and be on a boot that is compatible with the final word in bindings (ie some strapless variety).

The IONs hurt my feet the first few times but got pretty comfortable once broken in.

PSIs are the top line Burton Step-ins. Probably not much difference over the SIs other than $$, a little more adjustability, and some weight savings. A latch spring broke already on my left foot binding so I need to take it back to the shop to get it fixed. It still latches tight but I have to pull the latch up and then step in "gingerly" to ensure it's seated right.

I bought K2 Rival Boas to go with the Flows I recently bought. Still breaking them in. They're not bad, much easier than regular laces and its pretty easy to set the tension as tight (or loose) as you want. I like the Boa lacing. Only takes a few seconds to adjust, easy to loosen up to let your feet relax during breaks, on a long gondola/ropeway ride etc.

The only downside to the K2 Rivals is the inner liner is pretty thick - soft but thick. I have big calve muscles so if I go too tight on the boa lacing, the calves hurt. The Burtons did that when they were new too though so maybe once the K2s are broken in, they'll be better.

Still have to admit though - once clipped in, nothing better than the Burton boots/bindings for control. Its like your foot, the boot, binding, and board become one.

My boots are Salomon F's. They're really compact and I think they're great. They cost a couple of thousand yen more than the Malamutes, and if you're thinking about the latter after hearing the guys praise them, try the F's too. Especially if you're skinny like me.

Looking forward to the vans. Haven't tried them on yet, as i've not seen them overhere yet. Nearly tried a pair on in Tokyo, but resisted the urge....

Anyway, i use Flow Morphan boots. I'm not 100% happy with them, but im not sure that i could be with any pair of boots. The Morphans do the job and are comfy - just not really comfy, plus i seem to get more heel lift than i used to.

I find that the complete comfort and performance zone comes with a set up at some point and lasts for about 5 minutes.

They always seem to be either getting broken in or getting too loose and sloppy.

If you talk to any good balerina they'll tell you the same thing about toe shoes but thats another story.

My DEELUXE by Raichle are the complete package. Ultimate performance, comfort, warmth and durability. Two years old with probably 50 days of boarding done in them and still goin strong. I'll never wear anything else. Buy them! You won't be disappointed.

Deeluxe boots look sorta flashy, as well as quite bulky. Actually, they look as though bits might fall off and let the water in. But you reckon they're good heh? You can find them easily in Japan.