• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Virtually Undetectable if you han't have pointed it out I wouldn't have noticed :lol:

I like the old sticker I took mine off my helmet and replaced it with the new one.

Seemore

I ordered mine direct from gopro but I haven't got it yet. In fact, it has not been sent, and looks like it won't be until the 10th. So long as it arrives by the 30th I don't mind. It seems that demand for the black edition is very high. The silver edition is in stock and will be sent straight away. One thing to note is that the cost of postage from gopro is quite high.

I ordered mine direct from gopro but I haven't got it yet. In fact, it has not been sent, and looks like it won't be until the 10th. So long as it arrives by the 30th I don't mind. It seems that demand for the black edition is very high. The silver edition is in stock and will be sent straight away. One thing to note is that the cost of postage from gopro is quite high.

Ah...so if I ordered now there's a good chance I wouldn't get it by the 22nd...(off to Hokkaido)....hmmm..

the other cameras arent causing the same effect as the go pro is. The go pro has a major flaw in their design. If you ski off piste alot with a beacon then you should not buy this camera

What's the problem with the GoPro, Rider?

Ok this is an important link it isnt for advertising at all but it is link to a beacon manufacturers website that is talking about

the dangers. There are also many videos on the internet now that are showing how bad the go pro is messing up a beacons

search. On you head is too close to the beacon if the camera is turned on.

http://www.backcountryaccess.com/2012/11/19/issw-2012-avalanche-beacons-and-electrical-interference/

Yes, so as I noted above , provided you turn off your gopro when in search mode then no problem. It can interfer with a beacons search, but only when within a very close distance (40cm or the like) . within that distance it can create a ghost signal when the searching beacon is within that distance. And if I am burried and the searcher has got there beacon eithin 40cm of me and ghost signal finally appears then no problem. As for transmitting, then no interference. So just remember if you have to search then turn off you gopro first.

If you use a beacon , i.e go into the backcountry, then the only suggestion I would make is take an Avi course, get educated, follow safe backcountry travel protocol and practice searching with your beacon at the beginning of each season before getting any kind of camera.

Good info re: search mode. In the heat of the moment, it may be hard to remember to turn the camera off, especially while fumbling with the gopro buttons on your head

That being said, I like the gopro over the contour for a very simple reason. The contour lens is recessed slightly in the body so taking faceshots tends to plug up the lens with snow. My style conscious contour-wearing friends have this problem constantly. Faceshots are the whole reason i ride pow so for me this is a deal-breaker. The gopro housing has a rounded lens and I mostly done have this problem, although depending on your helmet vent configuration, it you do end up looking like a powder surfing teletubby.

Lately I've been using it at the end of a pole which gives a much more interesting picture (try holding it behind you or over your shoulder, too). The wrist mount is also quite nice - just keep the camera rolling constantly and point when you want to shoot something. A bit difficult to aim at times, though - I always end up pointing it too "high"

Hope this helps!

D

I would say that in the heat of the moment many people will forget to turn off their go pro. When searching you will bring your head down very close to the 40cm range. For now Im no longer using a go pro and ill use a roam midland or sony.

I've got a ContourHD and it works fine. The only time it got plugged with snow was when I bailed in a powder pit. I was more worried about finding my goggles than my vid.cam.

I'll be mounting it to my helmet when I get a new one soon, rather than goggle cam which can be a bit shaky.

I got the Roam which I am very happy with.

The HD lens is recessed slightly, but the Roam lens is flush to the housing which has rounded edges. No snow build up at all when I was getting the face-shot buffet last season ;) . I think the GoPro has a lot going for it, but if you snowboard then it's a no-brainer to go Contour.

You can't get POV footage following your exact line of sight when snowboarding with the GoPro sticking up from your helmet facing straight. You need the camera to be lined up with your back eye (left if goofy, right if regular) to get the right shot with your line of sight being in the middle. Being able to rotate the whole lens is also essential to get this shot without being slanted.

If I were a skier, I would get the GoPro Hero3 Black edition without a doubt. As I am not a skier, the only way is Contour :thumbsup:

So far no reports of any other cameras doing what a go pro does.

Cool, any testing though, does someone on here want to check?

As I noted previously I am happy using a gopro with my beacon. I am extremely confident I can switch off my gopro if the need should ever arise. I would recommend the GoPro3 Black edition for skiers too. I am gutted like some other people on here I picked up a GoPro2 and wifi backpack just before the 3 was released. Still happy very happy with it though :)

Can't find any but I will try to play around with my Tracker2 and my Contour Roam with my ride buddy and his Tracker 2 and ContourHD soon.

Pretty sure any issues experienced using with the GoPro and transceivers are likely to be the same with the Contour models to be honest......

Can't find any but I will try to play around with my Tracker2 and my Contour Roam with my ride buddy and his Tracker 2 and ContourHD soon.

Pretty sure any issues experienced using with the GoPro and transceivers are likely to be the same with the Contour models to be honest......

Awesome , I would also be surprised if there wasn't interference.

Beacon manufacturers suggest holding a searching beacon at arms length from any electronics when searching. Magnets also have an effect, and some jackets have magnetic button closures.