Buying a car in japan (for a non resident)

This one is for the locals I guess.

I am an aussie and I want to buy a nissan elgrande and import it to Australia. I figured I could possibly kill 2 birds with the one stone by buying the car immediately upon my arrival to japan on my next years holiday, use it for the duration of my holiday and then ship it back over when I leave.

It seems to make perfect sense as i will get the car cheaper than I would at home, I actually get to inspect the car rather than relying on a salesman and it gives mobility in japan for my holiday which is going to be 4-6 weeks hopefully.

The only issue I see is registration, not being a japanese citizen I am not sure how I would go in that regard.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sounds like a good plan...however, I doubt it'll work. Buying the car and getting it shipped back is pretty much up to your country's policy on vehicle imports. Driving it here for a short duration of stay...can't see it happening.

Typically to drive here you need a shako shomei (registered parking spot) and inkan shomei (registered stamp) and most likely your gaikokujin torokushomesho (foreign registration card) and I don't know if you can get that with a tourist visa. Just getting these alone will take longer than two weeks if you can even get them at all. And let's say you did get them....getting the car registered at the Rikunkyoku ( vehicle registration office) often takes up to two weeks.

Buying a car here isn't like in the movies where you walk onto the car lot, plop down some cash and drive away an hour later.

So, at the very least you have to have the car go through the Haisha (de-registration) process. The dealer can do this through the Rikunkyoku. I'm sure there are other steps and regulations involved....but I just don't know.

I feared that would be the case. Foreign backpackers do it all the time here in Australia but I was quite sure the japanese system would find a way of making it next to impossible especially with the language barrier.

Thank you very much for your insight into japanese motor registry chriselle :friend:

Gozaimaas, I certainly didn't intend to "head you off at the pass" but that's just my spidey sense and the cynicism that has built up over the years. Don't take my word for it ....search around, maybe it's not all that..glum. :lol:

Shaken is a compulsory safety inspection, which cars in Japan have to undergo every two years, except new cars, for which the first inspection is not due until three years after purchase. The shaken typically costs between 100,000 and 200,000 yen, and besides the actual inspection includes a weight tax (typically 8,000 to 50,000 yen) and a mandatory insurance (about 30,000 yen).

Since the mandatory insurance does not provide full coverage, it is recommended to purchase additional, optional car insurance. Furthermore, there is an annual automobile tax, which depends on the engine size and is typically between 10,000 and 50,000 Yen, and an acquisition tax to be paid when you buy the car.

When acquiring a car, numerous documents have to be filled out, including forms to register your car and to verify ownership of a parking space. If you buy a used car, the process is further complicated by forms regulating the transfer of ownership.

Ouch

Shaken is a compulsory safety inspection, which cars in Japan have to undergo every two years, except new cars, for which the first inspection is not due until three years after purchase. The shaken typically costs between 100,000 and 200,000 yen, and besides the actual inspection includes a weight tax (typically 8,000 to 50,000 yen) and a mandatory insurance (about 30,000 yen).

Since the mandatory insurance does not provide full coverage, it is recommended to purchase additional, optional car insurance. Furthermore, there is an annual automobile tax, which depends on the engine size and is typically between 10,000 and 50,000 Yen, and an acquisition tax to be paid when you buy the car.

When acquiring a car, numerous documents have to be filled out, including forms to register your car and to verify ownership of a parking space. If you buy a used car, the process is further complicated by forms regulating the transfer of ownership.

Ouch

Actually, it's not that bad as when buying a used car the cost of the shaken is either factored in or if there is shaken remaining from the previous owner you don't have to get it re-newed until it expires. The car tax is pro-rated as to how many months have passed since the payment of that tax which is usually in May.

Chances are you will be buying the car from a dealer so the transfer of ownership is unnecessary. Buying the car privately.........argh......I wouldn't wish that nightmare of an experience on my worst enemy.

Let's not forget about 3rd party liability insurance either.