Snow-closed roads to Fukushima dictated Plan B: Mt. JEANS in Tochigi. A place I had visited once before, and had been wanting to revisit for a while.

Impressions: indeed, this place caters almost entirely to intermediates, with only one novice course and one expert course. Though they have added a kid's area since last time I visited, with sledding and banana boat rides.

The temperature was just around freezing, so though there was new snow from the previous night, the piste-side powder was fairly heavy and sticky. Like skiing through cotton-candy. So best to stick to center on-piste.

Perhaps the best part was the views from the top of the chairlifts. Low-lying layer of clouds below, and a higher layer of clouds above, with expansive views between the layers, made for a top-of-the-world (or between-worlds) feeling.

My lousy photography doesn't do it justice. But, some pics.

Nantai-san, in Nikko next to Chuzenji-ko, seen on the drive there:

gallery_10844_127_38010.jpg

View from top of the high-speed quad:

gallery_10844_127_75348.jpg

gallery_10844_127_36396.jpg

gallery_10844_127_113034.jpg

Monoskier:

gallery_10844_127_73122.jpg

Mt. Tsukuba (double-peaked mountain to the right) seen from Mt. JEANS gelaende:

gallery_10844_127_24865.jpg

View from top of #2 pair lift:

gallery_10844_127_104794.jpg

Of course, it would be a crime against gastronomy to visit Tochigi without sampling the famous Utsunomiya gyoza.

Fried Utsunomiya gyoza:

gallery_10844_127_3764.jpg

Yes, it was yummy.

All-in-all, previous impressions were confirmed: Mt. JEANS is not a bad place to spend a day, especially for intermediates -- not much for beginners or experts (only one course each for them, with all the rest of the courses being ranked intermediate). Access is super-easy from the Kanto area. Wouldn't get a season pass there, but wouldn't mind spending a day there once a season or so, either.

The views, on the other hand, are almost worth a visit alone.

That is a beautiful drive from Nikko to Chuzenji -ko and a great view over the lake when you get there.

But watch out for the pesky monkeys.