Don't get me wrong, I'm really liking this board and I'm certainly not getting rid of it. The Fish can't compete on mixed crud and speed, but this one certainly can't float as well. Here in Hakkoda is a lot of stop and go. On the fish you stop, you end up with the tail down, the nose up, and ready to go. On the summit you are more sunk, making trail breaking a real pain in the oshiri. You can do it, but you are certainly fighting the board more.

Every board is a compromise. I used to rock as 172cm board; great flotation but taking it into the trees was rather suicidal. The Fish can swim through the trees like a, well, Fish, but run it through crud fast enough and it will throw you off. The summit can go fast, can candle crud, and can turn on a dime, but the nose doesn't stay up as easily.

One quarter moon shape cut and it may fix my issues without taking away from all the other good qualities...

Here is a video of me on the Fish last year. If you look at the clip around 0:58, I like that the new board will let me go faster than that.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/PxBao4tWO64?rel=0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?V=PxBao4tWO64

Of course it´s a compromise. We all know that.

It really comes down to the effect of the compromise one makes. You might end up with a wuss board.

The Japanese have a saying for that . - Obi ni mijika-shi, Tasuki ni naga-shi..

meaning too long for something, too short for something ..

Get a Hovercraft for the trees, then .. Cheaper than the Fish.

Hovercraft 156 waist width 260mm and 160 waist 264mm

Fish 156 waist is 255mm and 160 waste 258mm comparatively,

Most boards at 156 would be like 248 - 250 width.

Fish at 255 is a wide board for that length.

Hovercraft is a much more wider board.

I agree that a 5mm waist width is like putting on an extra 15cm length - if your boot size is big the Hovercraft would be good

Me personally, at size 8 foot, I wouldn´t go over 255 mm waist width. Edge to edge would be shite.

I took my Hovercraft 160 out for it's inaugural spin yuesterday as the mountains around Seattle have been getting dumped on. Well dumped on by our standards anyways. I'm a big guy, 6'5 220lbs and the Hovercraft worked well for me. I had good float nad significantly less back leg burn in powder compared to my Rider's Choice BTX. And there's sitll room to make this better as I didn't have my bindings moved all the way back.