• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quick post to get past 666!

I'm nearly on 8000

Argentinian malbek turned me on to red wines. I have heard the Chilean is very good too.

1739 a good year for chardonnay.

why is it called that?

Because they use a cultivar of grape called "chardonnay" - strange, huh?

Caused me to wonder - so a little searching uncovered the following in Wikipedia ...

"Chardonnay: type of wine, 1907, from French chardonnay, originally the type of grape used to make the wine, supposedly named for the town of Chardonnay, Saône-et-Loire, in eastern France. The name is said to be from Latin Cardonnacum."

and that led to ...

"Chardonnay is the commune in the Saone-et-Loire department in the region of Bourgogne in eastern France

The name is a derivative of Cardonnacum, a Latin term to denote the land of Cardus, the owner of the land surrounding this village during the end of the Roman period. It is also the definition of an area of thistles. Chardonnay and its surrounding Maconnais region are probably the cradle of the Chardonnay type of grape, and certainly the semantic origin of the grape."

This one is really really cheap

LN_598906_BP_a_4.jpg

McWilliams Sunstone Shiraz. And it goes well with just about anything. I was surprised at the quality of this wine at the price. Good ol Assies.

Meh ... come summer, I prefer a nice chilled white. To hell with the white wine for white meat, but red wine for red meat thing! I drink what I want, and in summer, I prefer whites.

Workhorse white is chateau cardboard from DeBortolis - their Verdelho is quite nice.

Sometimes splash out with a bottle - usually a special choice from the NSW Wine Society case.

How much is it?

Thank you Mr Google - answer is ...

McWilliams Sunstone Shiraz

£6.99

from Waitrose (who are, I presume, in the land of Pom!) - cannot get the stuff in Aus, at least cannot see it in any site I found.

Really hot days with the sun beating down, I would not contemplate a Chard. Instead a Semillon with plenty of ice would do it. As refreshing as a freezing soda but with the kick of a hand in glove.

Cue -> Morrissey

• 4 months later...

Who and who?!

Thursday and Alex......didn't we all think it was Thurs in a different alter ego but I'm sure Alex posted recently and it was un-Thursday like

Alias found.