Nothing much better to do than watch Music Station here right now and just talking about if any of them are singing or not.

But singing aside, when popsters do these appearances and say they are not actually singing.... Are they actually singing, but with the mikes turned off. Or are they really just pretending.

And how about drummers. They can't really 'pretend' can they?

Can someone solve these important mysteries please?

;)

It's actually very complicated. Back in the day when MilliVanilli got busted for faking it was pretty cut and dry. Now a days it's a convoluted production. Even our band has used a click track to introduce some light keyboards and vocal harmonies. The vocals for Music Station are usually pre recorded live stage. The band is usually way too clean to be live or even pre live stage recorded. Basically straight from the rhythm tracks on the CD. Guitars are the easiest instrument to gauge whether the band is live or not. Music Station NEVER uses live electric guitars. Drums are pretty easy to blend in. They never have them mic'd up so hit away but just drown them out of the PA mix.

Interesting.

But like with the vocals are they just totally miming ie nothing coming out of their mouths, or is their crap singing just being drowned out by the backing track?

You must feel a right wally pretending to sing....

Interesting.

But like with the vocals are they just totally miming ie nothing coming out of their mouths, or is their crap singing just being drowned out by the backing track?

You must feel a right wally pretending to sing....

No, mics are always on for the solo singers and duets. Groups like AKB will have a few hot mics but are pulled down in the mix until the engineer pushes them up for a close up solo bit. It's all very staged and perfected. If all those mics were hot and with the all the dancing and bouncing around......it would sound really, really bad. I always get a kick out of the solo singers who have the harmonies ...... and it's their voice singing the harmony parts....haha.

Again, the no mic'ing of the drums and guitars is the one that really makes me chuckle.

From an engineering stand point big stadium shows like Shania Twain, Britiny Spears and the like......are very artistically impressive.

Chriselle how do you know this? Insider knowledge or just observations from a musician-type?

;)

Musician for 30 years. Toured for a few years back in the late 80' early 90's. I've done quite a bit of "sound man" work over the years as well. So a little of both...insider knowledge but mostly observation.

And yes, I tuned in to Music station live last night, too. Lots of live mics and thus quite a few sharp and flat notes...haha.

Yeah, I hate to break it to what is apparently the majority of people who do not realize, but for several years now, bands from EVERY genre use click tracks with various instruments or vocals churning along. Watch Steel Panther videos from live performances. These guys are top musicians no doubt, but no guitarist can play 3 guitar parts at once, and bass players can't hold a mirror in one hand and tease their hair with the other and play the bass. I'm sure they do it to supplement their act, with admittedly is perfect, but at the same time, it sucks that it's getting harder to see your favorite group "stripped down". Unless its just you and them with an acoustic guitar and no mics, don't believe what your ears tell you.