A friend of mine decided to pick up a pair of these for this season:

http://www.skiboardsonline.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=rvl8ktp11&Category_Code=skiboards&Product_Count=12

I guess they look quite sweet, but I have to admit, I'm a bit skeptical - I recommended he just get some fat-ish skis in a normal length for Japan powder but he seemed to have his heart set on some ski boards and says that because of their width -125mm undefoot, and the fact that they have extra holes so you can move the bindings back for powder days, they should be fine for the powder. However, when I look at them, I cant help but think they will be really slow, and that because of the lack of surface area compared to a regular ski, they will just sink in the powder!

So am I just been old fashioned? Has anbody tried these new, fangled ski board thingies? Will they hold up in a foot or so of fresh powder?

Also, I cant help but think the real reason my friend wanted to go short skis, was that his level seemed to be at a bit of an intermediate plateau and he has an idea that they should be a lot easier to ski and do tricks on and so on. Again, Im not fully convinced - maybe easier on groomed runs, but surely not in powder? And not much to land on from any height....

I tried them out for a day in France, definitely good fun to muck about on (didn't get to use them in powder though) but after a day they got a bit boring. They are much easier to do tricks and I found landing pretty easy as well. The models you're showing are pretty fat so might actually ok in powder? I reckon I'd still stick with the full length versions though! A good option for a day where you fancy a change but not for a whole holiday I don't think!

no offense to people who short ski (cause I've seen some people really ROCK OUT on them) but I just think it looks HILARIOUS, haha...and people on short skis tryin to hit POW?!?! = MORE hilarious, faceplant, faceplant, faceplant, haha

Fine for skiing on piste, especially Japanese piste which can be pretty tame by world standards.

Great for skiing with young kids, less to carry. Not bad for beginners either.

Complete joke in the powder.

Cheapest ones are about 5000 yen a pair with bindings new. That's only two days' ski rental.

For many folks it would make more sense to buy them than a pair of ordinary skis, say 50-60,000 yen mounted, that only end up getting ten to fifteen day's usage.

There must be tens of thousands of pairs of skis like that in Japan.

5000 yen? I think he managed to drop 4 or 500 US dollars on these with bindings! It seems most think the same as I was thinking - OK for a bit of fun on piste and in the park, but probably not much use in the powder. Well, hopefully he can develop his ability on these dainty little things this year, and build up the confidence to buy himself a proper powder ski next season after he realises that I was right about these not been any good for the deep stuff!

Fine for skiing on piste, especially Japanese piste which can be pretty tame by world standards.

Great for skiing with young kids, less to carry. Not bad for beginners either.

Complete joke in the powder.

Cheapest ones are about 5000 yen a pair with bindings new. That's only two days' ski rental.

For many folks it would make more sense to buy them than a pair of ordinary skis, say 50-60,000 yen mounted, that only end up getting ten to fifteen day's usage.

There must be tens of thousands of pairs of skis like that in Japan.

yeah, they are very manouverable so may be a good option when teaching/helping your kids get their first turns in. I actually found that after a day on them, they really helped me to ditch the snowplough and start parallel turning on full length skis.

5000 yen? I think he managed to drop 4 or 500 US dollars on these with bindings!

In fairness to your mate, it looks like he's going full on for it with some boards from a small hardcore manufacturer.

Skiboards they have a similar pop to park skis could be a useful learning tool for park since the tips won't get in the way.

Skiboards for powder at Japanese depths seem like a mad idea.

For 5000 I was thinking something much more low tech made in China.

http://page13.auctio...ction/r83825215

Last year's model and probably 5-6,000 yen. For skiing with kids or beginners, they'll do fine.

As long as he enjoys himself, thats the main thing. When I last went skiing with him on normal skis he seemed to be getting a little frustrated at times because I guess he was still learning/out of practice or at something of an "intermediate plateau" and he had a few falls. I maintain that with a bit more practice, perhaps a lesson or two, he would likely have gone from frustrated to really having a good time pretty soon, including handling powder on bigger skis. But he's decided to go with the skiboards - pretty good ones, admittedly and just looking at them I dare say they will handle 6 inches or so of powder - I guess when he gets a bit better on them and wants to go a bit faster and into deeper stuff, he'll most likely want to invest in a good powder specific ski at a later date.