A great point was brought up by a guy in the ski club I help run today - "If it is heavy, if it's wet, if it's thick - why do they still call it powder?" I didn't have an answer for him. I thought it was a great question. He came up with it after we described skiing some backcountry 'heavy pow' earlier in the day. You have 'powder', you have 'packed powder' (if it's packed, how is it powder?) you have 'heavy powder' which makes no sense either.

I know the Eskimos had over 100 words for snow depending on the conditions that snow was in. But when white man translated, all 100 words became 'snow'. I hereby declare, that us here, on this board, should come up with some new names for different snow conditions. Let's make it international this time. I realize there is slang out there for some conditions. In the NW, my friends and I used 'gank' to describe that thick heavy PNW cement crap we usually got. I want to hear what you have. (and today was definately gank).

> "If it is heavy, if it's wet, if it's thick - why do they still call it powder?"

Because they're liars. Or wishful thinkers.

That sounds like either ex-powder, or something that was never powder at all. It's important to distinguish between deep snow and powder, although the distinction is often not made. You can have 5 cm of powder on top of ice, or half a metre of deep clag. Heavy deep snow that isn't powder can also be fun of course.

so we have 'gank' and 'clag'. I'm serious here people. Ocean, the whole point is it shouldn't be called powder. Slang will be okay for now, but I want some names for some of this shit snow we are getting. C'mon brudder, help this poor soul out.