If you're going to Hakuba I recommend hitting up Tsugaike for a day. When snow falls, it falls the most there (sometimes Cortina wins tbh) and the backcountry (if you're into that) is also pretty good.

I went to tsugaike once. I will never... never... never ever go back there. Its my #1 most hated resort ive been to. That flat middle part annoyed me beyond a level i thought it was impossible to be irritated. Then theres the powder traps all over it. If you like the pow, enjoy unclipping and walking through it :) Also, everythings kinda short. Theres only one run i remember being a little bit long... and only a little bit.

Im sure the heli skiing is great and all, but for the resort itself, even if this site gave me free tickets and i was in hakuba anyway i wouldnt go. Id rather pay 4500 yen and sit in goryu another day.

Dont get me wrong, im not saying other people cant have fun there or that theyre wrong. Its just when i turned up, the fun seemed to be located somewhere else.

It's a very beginner / intermediate resort. I worked there for a season, so I could be biased. But like most resorts, once you know where the fun parts are you always can enjoy yourself I suppose.

see, this is what i was angling at :p Wheres the fun bits! tell tell tell! im always up for being shown to be wrong because it means i get new super secret info ;)

It's been a while since I've been there. But there's a nice stretch up the top around the back of Tsuga Ni (Where the park up the top is) that will bring you out to the Champion part of the mountain.

Sorry for the vague details but I'll have to go back there to remember exactly where it is. There's a bunch of other places too, and when the ropeway opens up in March going up the top is also very viable. But I wouldn't really bother with it during the early season.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Forgot to add on the way there I'm flying JAL for all but the bris-syd leg as a risk management tool, hoping for a strike on the return leg :)

There are some great places that I know about. No hints, find them yourself. 'Go explore sucker!'   . .

Well, you ain't the only one who is calling it 'Shiga'.

Just sayin'

:wave:

just be grateful the Ozzies aren't calling it "Shigo".........they seem to put an "O" on everything......ambo, smoko, damo, sambo, Niseko ;) :p

Not true TubbyBeaverinh

Thanks mate - will grab the Narita Express into Tokyo and then the Shink and another train to Myoko. Looks like I can get there on that night. That is if its snowed...... If not plan B might be a side trip to Osaka - will hold off until the very end. Had looked at bolting to Hokkaido but flights are approx $1K :(

If you do go to Myoko Kogen:-

Hi Pete, I have done that 5pm arrival at Narita, NEX to Tokyo, ASAMA to Nagano, local train to Myoko Kogen, trip before.

Depending on how long it takes to clear customs you have a couple of options on what time NEX and ASAMA you catch but which ever you catch you will be on the last train for the night to Myoko which arrives about 11.30 pm from memory. A lot of the accommodation places will pick you up from the station if you tee it up beforehand

Thanks mate - sounds good. I was suppose to start my trip at 330am from Brisbane the 1st day but am now overnighting in Sydney so I can get a good nights sleep the night before so a trip like that is quite feasible to get up and ride the next day. Anyone stayed at the Akakura Central Hotel?

I am incredibly lucky and grateful that my Hakuba accommodation is allowing me the flexibility to go elsewhere if Hakuba isn't going to delver the 1st few days.

Yes me, stayed for 8 nights in Feb this year.It's a great position - ski in and virtually ski out - a few steps. The extended Kitamura family run the hotel and are wonderful folks. Son Jo Kitamura speaks good english & will probably be the one to pick you up from the train.

Food is pretty good though we ate out most nights as there are heaps of eating options and Izakaya in easy walking distance. Hotel breakfast is typical Japanese, though if you ask for cereal, bread & a toaster they will bring them out.

If you meet the Jo's mother Hiseko I think her name is, please say herro from John-san, Kevin-san, Hans-san & Steve-san.

We will back there in February.

Well, you ain't the only one who is calling it 'Shiga'.

Just sayin'

:wave:

just be grateful the Ozzies aren't calling it "Shigo".........they seem to put an "O" on everything......ambo, smoko, damo, sambo, Niseko ;) :p

Not true TubbyBeaverinh

well I'm Brazilian so I'm not surprised you messed up my name.......crazy crim descendants!

I swear sometimes I am one of the assiest bastards around. Just rang qantas to see how many extra points it would cost to go all the way to Sapporo. The answer - none!! Woohoo off to Rujusitu and maybe Niseko before heading to Hakuba on the 28th. Following which will head to Nozawa and possibly Myoko. Seriously can't believe my luck :) Thanks to those who suggested Hokkaido.

I swear sometimes I am one of the assiest bastards around. Just rang qantas to see how many extra points it would cost to go all the way to Sapporo. The answer - none!! Woohoo off to Rujusitu and maybe Niseko before heading to Hakuba on the 28th. Following which will head to Nozawa and possibly Myoko. Seriously can't believe my luck :) Thanks to those who suggested Hokkaido.

In the end this is probably the best idea. Whenever I want an early season option (anything before Christmas) I go to Hokkaido. Have fun with the new board too! Should be an awesome trip.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi guys seeing I leave in just over a week I need to come to think about what I'm doing. Any suggestions for places near Nagano i can go spend a few days, maybe 5 as I will base myself in Hakuba. Already planning a few days in Nozawa and was in Shiga last year. Thanks.

There are some great places that I know about.

No hints, find them yourself.

'Go explore sucker!'

:thumbsup: ;). :). :D

• Like 1