Old and New

Old

I Hope you find this fascinating - a craft that was probably handed down by all his grandpapys over the last couple of thousand years?

Not a bandaid in sight!

Any old timer lathe operators out there?

Obviously no Occupational Health and safety worries wherever this is done! And look at the size of the chisel - no little tiny ones for the delicate bits. AND he appears to still have all his fingers and toes! Talk about dexterity, hand/foot co-ordination, etc. Wow

New

Quite a contrast to above

http://youtu.be/nVILRAM_pvY

I'm a lathe "operator". I use a lathe in my daily business. That's pretty cool I must admit albeit it kinda makes me cringe. Fingers are always at risk...table saw, band saw, chop saw, routers, lathes.....etc....but my toes are usually pretty safe..unless I get stupid with the nailing gun...lol.

I was talking about the pencil maker, speaking of which - Chriselle, "pencil maker" and "nailing gun" has me wondering?

Pen maker....No automation. I make them one at a time for customers that want something a little more special than your typical roto molded plastic Mont Blanc, Parker or Shaeffer.

The nailing gun is just another tool, a hammer albeit a "fun" hammer. :party:

This is the sort of thing that fascinates me about these third world type places. These people are the most resourceful on the planet.

They do not know understand the concept of complacency, like we do.

Are you working from a third world type place, Chriselle?

;)

I don't know about third world Frannyo.....but Ito certainly isn't a place I would ever say was... in step with the leading edge of technology. ;) We's gots lectricity though.....and lotsa smelly hot water.