What they say, what they mean and what people understand

Yes, the first two columns are very Japanesee.......The others column is kinda over assuming though...makes the "others" look like morons. It's interesting for me because my motto has always been, Say what you mean, and mean what you say. As I get older I find myself more and more dispensing with the niceties. There is far more column 2 in me than column 1.

Actually I don't agree.

Lots of my local friends here are pretty good at sarcasm and use it quite a lot.

They might not be in tune with the brand of sarcasm that a foreigner-that-comes-from-wherever uses, but then surely that's expected?

Actually I don't agree.

Lots of my local friends here are pretty good at sarcasm and use it quite a lot.

They might not be in tune with the brand of sarcasm that a foreigner-that-comes-from-wherever uses, but then surely that's expected?

Very interesting.... ;) . Iyami is usually viewed as a personality flaw and doesn't come from lighthearted interaction but rather something mean spirited or cynical. With regards to your friends...My wife thinks it might be a Niigata local thing..... :wave: