Hi,

I’m planning to go to Japan end of Dec 2011 and will be staying at Utsunomiya.

I would like to know nearest place from Utsunomiya to go for skiing and how much is the cost per person.

Thank you,

Awin

Thats Saitama....right? you can go uo to Gunma easily enough....you gonna have your own car or will u need public transport? If by public transport then there are all manner of bus and train deals from North Tokyo to most of the Central Honshu resorts for anything from 4-5000 yen (day bus return, lift ticket and hire if needed) to 11-12,000yen (night bus or day return shinkansen, lift ticket and MAYBE an extra 1-2k for rentals....it depends on the deal)

Hi,

I'll be using public transport. What Is the best time for us to go skiing? Our tentative date is on 23 Dec 2011 to 6 Jan 2012.

Metabo,

If i choose edelweis / hunter, how can i know that the place is open?

i also need to know how much for the ski set?

Please help me..

Hunter Mountain plans to open Dec. 3, which sounds optimistic to me, but they have lots of snow-making equipment so it is almost sure they will be open by the 23rd at least. In any case you can check their status here:

http://www.snowjapan...il.php?resid=99

Right near the top of the page see "Status" (currently "Closed").

There is also a link to Hunter's web page near the bottom of that page.

If all else fails, post a query here, and someone will be helpful enough to look it up for you, I'm sure.

Via public transportation, it looks like your best bet is to take the shinkansen from Utsunomiya station to Nasushiobara station (a 15-minute ride), and take a shuttle bus tour from there.

To take the shuttle bus, you have to make a reservation before 16:00 the previous day by calling 0287-62-6161. (It is not operated by Hunter Mountain.)

One round trip costs 1,500 yen per adult, 1,000 yen per pre-school child.

The bus leaves Nasushiobara station at 8:25 AM, and leaves Hunter to go back at 16:00. It takes about one hour each way.

Otherwise, they suggest a taxi, but I have to imagine that would be expensive.

Lift tickets are 4,500 yen for adults, 3,500 yen for children up through junior high school (9th grade).

Equipment is 4,000 yen for adults (skis, boots and poles, or snowboard and boots), or 6,500 including outer wear (just jacket and snow pants, I believe).

For kids, 2,500 yen or 3,500 yen, respectively.

Edelweiss has not updated their information for this year, yet.

• SnowJapan Admin

Yes, thanks Metabo.... We plan to have the resort status and snow depth data up and running in the first part of December so should all be going smooth by then.

Mad isn't it not updating come late October.

Can't understand the mindset, you'd think they would get it up there as soon as totally possible.

I was actually starting to wonder about their will to live for a while -- seem to recall Edelweiss being more active in the off-season in previous years, with pictures of summer maintenance work, etc. But they have finally just started updating their blog for the first time since soon after the earthquake, so perhaps more will be forthcoming soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Hunter Mountain plans to open Dec. 3, which sounds optimistic to me, but they have lots of snow-making equipment so it is almost sure they will be open by the 23rd at least. In any case you can check their status here:

http://www.snowjapan...il.php?resid=99

Right near the top of the page see "Status" (currently "Closed").

There is also a link to Hunter's web page near the bottom of that page.

If all else fails, post a query here, and someone will be helpful enough to look it up for you, I'm sure.

Via public transportation, it looks like your best bet is to take the shinkansen from Utsunomiya station to Nasushiobara station (a 15-minute ride), and take a shuttle bus tour from there.

To take the shuttle bus, you have to make a reservation before 16:00 the previous day by calling 0287-62-6161. (It is not operated by Hunter Mountain.)

One round trip costs 1,500 yen per adult, 1,000 yen per pre-school child.

The bus leaves Nasushiobara station at 8:25 AM, and leaves Hunter to go back at 16:00. It takes about one hour each way.

Otherwise, they suggest a taxi, but I have to imagine that would be expensive.

Lift tickets are 4,500 yen for adults, 3,500 yen for children up through junior high school (9th grade).

Equipment is 4,000 yen for adults (skis, boots and poles, or snowboard and boots), or 6,500 including outer wear (just jacket and snow pants, I believe).

For kids, 2,500 yen or 3,500 yen, respectively.

Edelweiss has not updated their information for this year, yet.

has edelweiss update their information?

• 2 weeks later...

Edelweiss has finally updated their web page for 2011-2012.

To get there, you will need to take the train from Tobu-Utsunomiya station (NOT the same as the shinkansen station -- a few blocks away from there), which is a 2-hour ride to Kinugawa onsen. From there, they have a free shuttle bus that leaves Kinugawa station at 9:00, arriving at Edelweiss at 9:50. The return bus leaves Edelweiss at 16:00, arriving at Kinugawa at 17:00.

Lift tickets:

4,000 yen for adults on holidays, 3,200 yen on weekdays.

Cheaper for kids and "seniors" (45 years old and above).

Ski set rental:

3,000 yen for equipment, 3,000 yen for wear.

You may also find it as easy, or easier, to get to Mt. JEANS:

Take shinkansen to Nasushiobara station, and shuttle bus from there.

Shuttle bus costs 500 yen/person round trip, and has to be reserved by 16:00 the previous day by calling 0287-62-6161.

It leaves the train station at 8:25, arriving at the ski area at 9:30.

Return trip leaves Mt. JEANS at 16:30, arriving at train station at 17:35.

Also free shuttles available from Kuroiso and Shirakawa stations at 7:05 and 7:25, respectively: call 0287-77-2300 by 16:00 the previous day to reserve.

Lift tickets are 4,200 yen for adults.

Ski set rentals are 4,000 yen for adults, wear is 3,500 yen. Ski set plus wear package is 6,000 yen for adults.

Cheaper for kids.