After 8 seasons of boarding, I'm about ready to give skiing a try again.

When I gave up skiing in the late 80's, it was long thin 190s and boring as all heck.

The clothes were better than now though.

Has any snowboarder on this site gone back to skiing after a long absence?

What was it like? Was your skiing different than before you took up boarding? What about all this newfangled gear?

Any tips on technique, equipment or style for that first day back on two planks?

HumpinBannana3.gif

I went back to skiing after boarding and I found that I was much better at skiing! maybe it was because I had more feel for steep snow and going fast, but I found I had more confidence than when I had skiied as a early teen. So go for it and with new ski technology you will feel even better and nothing beats skiis when the snow is not in great condition, ie icy......twoedges are better than one

groovy.gif

Okay, I'm not totally qualified to answer as I've never boarded, but I can tell you that after not having skied for 8 years myself, todays ski technology is way superior - now you can let the skis do most of the work, and you will find yourself able to do things you weren't able to do before as well as having more fun at it due to the new degree of ease to accomplish things that were once so much more difficult on narrow skis.

And after all your years of perfecting your balance while boarding I would say for sure that your skiing would be way better than it used to be, even without the new ski technology.

Also, I have to disagree about ski-wear - it's way better than it used to be, in terms of keeping one dry, warm and ventilated, which is all I really care about myself. But you can ski in riding gear, right? I would if that's what I had.

This may be hopeless in Japan, but has anyone seen a shop or resort in Nagano that rents high end twin tip gear, including boots if at least size 10-11US? I think it would be pretty interesting to try a day on skis after so many years. What length would you recommend for me - 182CM, 73KG?

ender, this is maybe a bit far out of your way, and I don't know about sizes, but Echo Valley has rental of next season's gear for 2 hours at Y1,000. For that you can try up to 2 different sets of gear.

Phone number on this page;

http://www.echovalley.co.jp/echovalley/master/nmodel/nmodeldata.html

The title at the top says "Gear for picky fu'ers".

I don't know about ski gear, but most rental shops I've seen have snowboard boots up to that size, so you may be in luck.

Good luck mate. Traitor mad.gif

• 3 weeks later...