Not that I think anyone even remotely cares, but had a great day up at Kagura yesterday - blue sky, no wind but still quite cool so the snow stayed in pretty good condition all day and the place was virtually empty. The snow wasn't the best, only an inch or two of powder on top of a lot of tracks, so off the groomers tended to be a little rough, but still better than sitting in an office in Tokyo. My first experience of a Japanese resort mid-week, so empty it was actually a little disconcerting.

For those who may be interested, it looks like Kagura might be about to open the very top run. There were a couple of snow ploughs moving snow around the base of the very top chair lift - which may mean an end to that delightful little bowl of powder and natural half pipe at the back of the resort.

Also - saw a pretty hardcore looking group of back country boarders on the way up to the top of the resort. If you guys access this site, I would be very keen to hear how that powder board with the forked tail and that split board performed in yesterdays conditions.

I just heard from a friend that they do not patrol the Kagura area of the mountain anymore. They've just set up some "well-marked" roped areas, but everyone just ducks the ropes and goes off-piste.

Can anyone confirm/refute this? Heading up there this weekend.

Split tail one may be Gentem DPT - this does great on powder as well as on groomed runs. It is expensive, thou. I do not have split board, but many of my friends do. From what I observed, split is great on hiking up like skis. But heavy because of extra edges, plates below bindings add weight to the board. And the special very wide seals, are quite haveyer compared to the ones for skis, and you still have to carry in your pack. So overall, the weight wise it may be a close equivalent to carrying shoes, and poles. Anyone has other comments?

Goemon

Yesterday at the top of Kagura, there was a gap in the fence with a couple of signs in Japanese (with several passages highlighted in red) which I assumed was a warning of some sort. Previously we have had to wiggle under a fence near the top of the quad station which always made me feel a little uncomfortable - its a bit difficult to play the "Oh, this area is off limits is it? Sorry didn't realise" card if one is caught leopard crawling under a bright orange security fence.

Judging from the number of tracks leading through the gap in the fence, it looked as if it was the authorised access point to the back of Kagura, which seems like a pragmatic approach to the whole off limits issue. Nevertheless, we have been ducking ropes down the left and right side of the quad run for weeks now without any agro from the patrol at all.

... from last year's memory...

The notice at the entrance used to say, "..beyond this point is out of ski resort responsibility, please enter at your own risk, it is required to have mountain entry application granted by local authority to enter beyond this point....etc. etc."

I saw on yahoo headline a snowboarder from Tokyo went missing on sunday was spotted yesterday by rescue heli. He has frostbite on his face and hands but nothing serious. Glad he came back to the normal world without too much harm on him

I want to do the top 'secret' run one day, too

Kambei/snoflake: Thanks for the confirmation and info. It seems like Kagura has adopted a sensible approach to off piste (as long as people act responsibly for their own safety). Sounds alot like the Niseko local rules

Looking forward to checking it out this Saturday. \:\)

I don't recall alot of steep runs in the courses and the ones that have any steepness are pretty short. I usually end up spending alot of time crossing the mountain from run to run via the lifts. I can't comment on the off piste runs' steepness 'cause I haven't been there (yet).

You probably won't be challenged by Kagura, but I like it for its ease of access (from Tokyo) and relaxed feel.

Fattwins,

There probably isn't lot of vertical compared to some other places. If that is what you go in for. A couple of mates and I generally go to Kagura because its pretty handy from Tokyo - roughly 2 hours from Tokyo station to the first lift. Its (arguably) better than most other Yuzawa resorts for tree runs without having to get too serious about back country equipment etc. It also doesn't seem to get as crowded as other Yuzawa places.

Just wondering thats it. I like looking at the pics of ski books. Sounds strange, but from the book you can find lines. then get the topo map out to check how they are. Ive heard alot of people talk about this place but when I look at the book its pretty spread out. I want to find out which part is the top. THX

If you want to check out Kagura it`s better to head straight for the Kagura ropeway station instead of going by Dragondola from Naeba b/c first you`d have to go through Tashiro. The connection is gonna be a bitch...probably take you about 50min(after getting off Dragondola)!