If Amy had come to me, I would have helped her through cold turkey, nursing her with intensive shots of nourishing fluid. I could have slapped her around until she learned to get a bit more music into her voice too.

She was a junkie. So what? She was annoying, sure, but that's more to do with the media thing.

As for her music. "**** genius" is a little much. I didn't particularly like the genre but she was a good song writer. Simple catchy melodies over thick, rich chord progressions. I think the whole Afro-American-retro-image thing often got in the way of the songs. They would stand stronger if it was just her and her guitar. -Which is unlike most of the modern electronic music which is all atmospherics and little substance (though I would prefer to listen to modern electro stuff 80% of the time.)

She was quite a good singer but I'm not really into 50s/60s style soul/jazz and so never really listened to her music. Curtis/Marvin/Stevie type "new soul" is more my thing.

Even before the spiral of addiction and self-destruction took hold, she seemed pretty good at winding certain kinds of people up just with her look and sound, so good on her for that. Up the yoof! etc.