Hi all,

My wife and I have frequent flyer tickets booked to Tokyo for the 10th of December returning on the 21st. I would like to book a 7 day accommodation, transfers and lift pass package but am worried there could be no snow where we book.

What is a near guaranteed resort for early december snow? or am I better not to book anything until we arrive?

It all depends on weather systems. Majority of Japanese resorts have no snowmaking, and none have the kind of coverage that we have in Australia - mainly because they don't need it. But it does mean being at the beck and call of nature.

Usually the farther north the earlier the start - but last season was a bit the opposite!

No guarantees, as muika says, but Kagura seems to lead the pack most years. (On Honshu, at least.)

There is also a good chance that anything open Dec. 10-21 is open only to a very limited extent, so if you're there you might want to pick somewhere with several different resorts within reach, for variety. Or plan to hit a couple of different areas to begin with.

Just wait until you get here and book on the spot. That way you will have the best snow conditions available. You will be able to book any hotel you like during that time and no need to arrange lift passes. You will most likely not see a lift line anywhere. Everything at a resort can open after one good storm so keep an eye on the weather too 4 days out. Some places give snow guarantees early season if you do want to book something.