I'm looking to get a new bike.

About 15 years ago, I bought a Miyata Ridge Runner road/mountain bike cross. It has big thin wheels, and a thin frame, but mountain bike gearing and brakes. It's been a pretty good bike, onroad and off. But now it's getting rusty, its wheels need replacing, and I'm not sure of the need for 21 gears or whatever it has.

I'm quite keen on the idea of electric motor assist, but the good ones are about 130,000 yen. Alpen does one for 59,000 yen, but it isn't reviewed very highly.

I've seen some nice looking road bikes with just one gear. I used to have bikes with one gear and they were pretty good. If I could get a decent-sized road bike for about 30,000 yen with a single gear, that would suit me well.

Any recommendations or thoughts?

Originally Posted By: Ocean11
I've seen some nice looking road bikes with just one gear. I used to have bikes with one gear and they were pretty good. If I could get a decent-sized road bike for about 30,000 yen with a single gear, that would suit me well.

Any recommendations or thoughts?

FIXIE biggrin
Got the Appolo Salt for #3 son - he LOVES it.
w500-h500-24dd81fa612ee3ade78eb473140055

But the two types of bike you have listed are like polar opposites.
A fixie will make you work super hard on the hills.
An electric assist will make the hills super easy.

I would also be recommending a scooter or similar if you want a motor or 'transport' without the exercise.

So the question is:
What do you plan to use the bike for?
Getting to and from work. Transport around the local area. Fitness. Fun?

Thanks for the further comments and advice!

The Apollo Salt looks pretty much what I'm after in one sense. That will definitely be worth a look.

Here's the thinking behind the assist;

Doctors say that they're good for you because they allow you to get steady exercise at the same rate of effort.

A steady rate of effort is good if you're riding into town on a summer night for a few bevs, and you don't want to wring out your fancy shirt before you make your appearance in the bar.

A steady rate of effort is good on the way home when you're slightly unsteady.

I understand that the police don't look indulgently on embeveraged motorcyclists, although they don't tend to interfere with moderate drinkers on bikes.

I use my bike for everything, from shopping, to going up mountains occasionally, and as an agricultural vehicle.

There are a number of contradictory requirements at play, but they can best be met either by simplicity or electrical assistance.

A mama chari with quality parts and a long saddle post might also fit the bill. Do such things even exist I wonder (without being ridiculously heavy)?

Doctors say that they're good for you because they allow you to get steady exercise at the same rate of effort.

In contradiction to that there is also a lot of research to support the benefits of interval training - which riding the fixie or a regular geared bike will give you.

As for the bike riding to and from the pub - it is often overlooked but (at least where I live) it is illegal to ride a bike under the influence of alcohol.
Quote:
Under the Road Traffic Act 1974 a driver of a vehicle can only be charged with driving with an alcohol content above 0.05

A cyclist cannot accrue demerit points for cycling offiences - demerit points in WA only apply to drivers of motor vehicles (penalties relating to their licence).

Information on legislation in Western Australia can be found at:
http://www.slp.wa.gov.au/statutes/swans.nsf It is listed from A-Z,
so you will need to select the alphabetically listed legislation.

The query you have comes under the: Road Traffic Code 2000 Part 15 -
Additional provisions for bicycle riders

229. Proper control of bicycles
A person shall not on any road or path

(a) ride a bicycle while under the influence of alcohol, drugs or alcohol and drugs to such an extent as to be incapable of having proper control of the bicycle; or

(B) ride a bicycle recklessly or without due care and attention.

Modified penalty: 2 PU
(Note that one penalty unit (PU) is currently $50 and the penalty is therefore $100).
I would double check if I were you.
Originally Posted By: Jynxx
I think I stick to a scootie... the one´s with a handle and brake. Bit like a longboard with handle and break. Can take it on the bus, no prob.

Jynxx, I have a micro Original kickboard which I take with me on the train to town. (I live about 20 min by train from town). This has generally served me well, but I've been getting into the habit of missing the last train, and getting home on the kickboard would take most of the night.

I've had some crazy dashes through town on the kickboard before pumpkin time...

So I was thinking to do the whole thing by bike instead.
Originally Posted By: Mamabear

In contradiction to that there is also a lot of research to support the benefits of interval training - which riding the fixie or a regular geared bike will give you.

Yes, I'm aware of that. I take care of that side of things on my evening runs.

The fitness aspect of cycling is not my major concern, although it all helps.