Wonder who Luongo will play for next year, lol. Looked good up until the Finals.

Also, wtf Vancouver, srsly? Riots? I expect this from LA, New York, or Miami, but not you. Bad form.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: rider69
You can tell by the style of play really. I think Kessler is really hurt. He was a monster until he more than likely ripped is groin. the hit on Mason Raymond was weird I am at odds as to if that is a bad hit. The puck was there and he finished off the hit but considering the body position of the player he maybe shouldve let the player go.

Vancouver essentially traded Rome for Horton early in the series. Statistically Horton is about 100x more valuable than Rome. There's no room for complaint about Raymond. It was a late and rightfully penalized hit, but nowhere near malicious intent. It was one of those weird tweaks that turn serious. I hate the fact that he is hurt and out that long, but it just was a fluke of hockey.

***edit: Boston earned that series. They outscored and outplayed Vancouver substantially. Vancouver played well all season, but unfortunately nothing can excuse them from the performance of the finals, they just didn't show up like the rest of the playoffs and that's all there is to it.

Don't know about that assessment Mitch. What's the first thing we are taught as a hockey player? Keep your head up. Horton broke rule number one coming through the neutral zone with his head down. The hit itself was a clean one... the problem was that it came slightly late (and if Horton hadn't got hurt I don't think we'd even be talking about this... 100% of Horton's injury was a result of having his head down!) If a guy like Rome doesn't go for a hit like that he may be out of a job! That's hockey!

In my opinion, there was an equal amount of intent to injure with the Raymond hit. You know exactly what is going to happen to the other guy when you ride him into the boards like that. Why wasn't it called as a penalty? I mean, the guy had his back broken for f's sake!

Boston was a slightly better team in that series but Thomas definitely stole the series.

The Rome hit was plain and simple dirty and wrong. Hortons head was not down at all. He skates in with his head up. Makes the pass knowing that he is now in the clear. He is watching the play unfold and a possible return pass. He is not expecting to get labeled that late, and Rome lays him out and jumps. 4 games maybe a bit much but when are these guys gonna learn? Rome still thinks it was a good play, wrong.

The Raymond hit was not done at speed and is a bit silly (wont happen again). I couldve lived with a 1 game suspension but I dont think there was intent or huge force. But the guys have to learn to give up on the check a bit. Also the refs need to call a spade a spade. Finishing a check is interference. Call it interference and these guys will stop.

When the other team scores 22 goals and the other 8 I think the team with 22 goals played much better.

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
Don't know about that assessment Mitch. What's the first thing we are taught as a hockey player? Keep your head up. Horton broke rule number one coming through the neutral zone with his head down. The hit itself was a clean one... the problem was that it came slightly late (and if Horton hadn't got hurt I don't think we'd even be talking about this... 100% of Horton's injury was a result of having his head down!) If a guy like Rome doesn't go for a hit like that he may be out of a job! That's hockey!
In my opinion, there was an equal amount of intent to injure with the Raymond hit. You know exactly what is going to happen to the other guy when you ride him into the boards like that. Why wasn't it called as a penalty? I mean, the guy had his back broken for f's sake!
Boston was a slightly better team in that series but Thomas definitely stole the series.

You're right about the heads up. Crucial part of hockey. I remember getting decked a few good times because of that. The thing was his head was up then followed the play. So the late hit caught him with his head to the side. I mean come on, Rome took his stride to hit him after he had passed the puck.

I think they are incomparable hits. Raymonds was a much lesser impact but by sheer bad luck his back got tweaked the wrong way. I don't think Boychuck or anyone knew what would happen for that. It didn't look like much at all, but it was terrible the way it turned out and it was late. You're right it should have been an interference penalty, I agree with you there.

On a side note it was an awesome series. It was sad to see some of the Canucks (Hansen, Higgins) hit people on their way out of a line change. I feel bad for people like Kesler having to deal with that crap.

Lets clarify something here. Having your head up doesn't only mean to be physically looking up. It means to be attentive to what is happening around you... that is not what happened in the Horton hit. He wasn't protecting himself.

It was a really good series. I was happy to see both teams in the final. Boston is in the top three teams for me so I'm happy with the results wink but I was a little conflicted because I wanted to cheer for a Canadian team!

(btw rider, it could have been 100 goals to 8 but the series still went to 7 games. That means that one team was only slightly better smile )

what team to you usually cheer for BM? Not up on anything Hockey related so forgive the crap Q, but what is the rules regarding checking? What is a legal check?

Legal check is pretty much anything without using elbows or hitting from behind. Seems like that is going to change from next season now though because they want to reduce the number of concussions.

I'm a Detroit fan (Steve Yzerman was my hero).

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
what team to you usually cheer for BM? Not up on anything Hockey related so forgive the crap Q, but what is the rules regarding checking? What is a legal check?

Keep the hands, elbows and stick down. No hitting from behind. Shoulder to shoulder...shoulder to chest. Player being hit must be in possession of the puck...but that's a timing thing with a game this fast so early or late hits are penalties.

Stupid drunk youth on streets after the game. The government will look at why and how this happened but in the end youth and drinking were the main reasons.

BM

You cant always look forward, you have to be looking at the play as it unfolds as well. The player had his head up looking forward, he saw that he made a safe pass and was in an un-hitable situation (key point). That is the main part of it for me. As an old center-man in my day this play happens all the time (not the hit). You come up the middle and dish it off to a winger and head to the corner or the net. You make the pass early, so that you cant be hit. Again Rome isn't allowed to make this hit. Horton has to follow the puck here as there are 2 options on this play, either dump and chase or go to the net. Again the pass was made in a clear defined safe zone where the player knows he can't be hit.

When are these guys going to learn you cant make that play. You do that hit in bantam or midget this days and you are out for the season, suspended. Checking is defined as separating the man from the puck. The puck wasn't there and the checker hadn't even begun to check Horton until well after he had passed the puck. You just cant make that hit or if you do dont take the guys head off. Also he jumped at the guy. He jumped, it was late a clear game misconduct no matter what and that is how the refs need to call the play every time no matter the outcome of the guy hit.

Ps I still have chips in my elbow joint from a blindside hit trying to take a pass up the middle. To this day I can still remember how much that hit hurt!

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
Legal check is pretty much anything without using elbows or hitting from behind. Seems like that is going to change from next season now though because they want to reduce the number of concussions.
I'm a Detroit fan (Steve Yzerman was my hero).

The avs are my second team (oh how I miss the Detroit/Avs games). However, I respect the Red Wings. All of them except for Brenden Shannahan, that guy was such a little cry baby. I wouldn't be surprised if he slept with a pacifier every night.

Otherwise than that Federov was amazing to watch play. Saw him play the Bruins a couple times. Pretty spectacular speed wing.

rider, I agree with a lot of what you are saying but I still think that Horton could/should have done more to protect himself. It seems to be a bad trend developing these days (head down/ not protecting yourself etc) and possibly one of the reasons that there is such a problem with concussions. Another bad trend I've noticed is inconsistency with refs calls but I think that has more to do with an ambiguity in the rules and the way that suspensions are being handed out after the games.

Federov at his prime... man that was a sight to behold. When I was a high school student I was lucky enough to do a Red Wings summer hockey camp and got a little ice time with both Yzerman and Federov (just a skate though).

Can you imagine Dougie Gilmour playing wide open hockey? Watch the final game of the 1987 Canada cup man that was skilled hockey. Why we had to go though 15 years of holding is beyond me.

The refs need to call the games better. Kessler lost a scoring chance to a huge slash. Boston doesnt score the first goal the way they did if Patrice is in the box for 2 minutes. Yes Horton does have to protect himself but I dont think he can on that play nor would anyone else. You just dont expect to get hit that late.

For the record I dont agree with the Chara hit on Max P of the Canadians either. These guys have to know where they are on the ice. If you injure someone while taking a penalty then you should be gone for the game at least. A tough call I know but how about this. If you get a boarding penalty and the other player has to go to the quiet room test area, how about the offending player sitting out as well. If the injured player doesnt come back then neither can the offending player.