Seeing all of the end of season sales has got me thinking about picking up some new gear. I've already got my rock board (Nitro Magnum, which was my first board) and my all around board (GNU Rider's Choice BTX) so I've been thinking more and more about getting a powder specific board. I looked around at a few different boards - Burton Fish, Jones Hovercraft, a few others - but I keep running into the same problem: it's difficult to find models which come in sizes for riders which are tall, heavy and have big feet. I also have this problem when looking for normal boards, but of course since it's not a niche board the numbers are better.

So I'm appealing to my SJ friends. Does anyone have a recommendation for powder board which would work for me?

My stats would help so here they are:

Height: 6' 5" (195cm)

Weight: 220 lbs (99 kilograms) (15 5/7 stone)

Shoe size: 14US (29.2 cm) (13.5 UK and Australia)

Doing another trip to Japan next season is a possibility, would love to be there shredding on a new pow board smile

Cheers.

Shit James.

You are a big bloke, so I´d say get one that´s designed by guys your size.

You have the advantage of being in the States, for boards like

Winterstick

Venture

NeverSummer

Prior

Donek

DNAZ

O-Sin

Voile

You thinking swallowtails like me? Split?

Sweet, thanks for some suggestions Jynxx. I'll have to check those out and see if there's anything that fits the bill.

I've been to the Prior factory near Whistler for a tour. Pretty interesting and worth checking out if you're in the area and the riding isn't too good for the day.

Swallowtails look pretty sweet, I'd be stoked to have one. I don't do back country stuff and only dabble in slack now and then so maybe a split would be to much.

I've wanted to pick up a Batteleon in the past but there's very few models they make for my dimensions.

I'm now leaning towards the Jones Flagship. It's not too expensive as far as boards go and seems like a good progression for where my skills are at. Still doing some research though. I'm hoping to find a deal, we'll see.

I was looking at the Jones Hovercraft cos my local shop has one and I like the shape and also the Nitro Slash which comes in at a 166cms. I even had the credit card out and was punching in the numbers but something didn't work and the sale didn't go through and then calm and serenity returned and I put away the card.

Jones Flagship is definitely worth considering.

That would be my pick if it´s not a swallowtail.

But I have an idea about what I like to have, and Flagship is close to the spec I´d like to ride. Jones is a small guy, he rides 161 I think.

Next season´s Hovercraft comes out in bigger size. Worth considering.

Change of thinking. If you want it to just ride pow, it might be worth trying out rocker boards. Like Venture storms ... you might like it.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
I was looking at the Jones Hovercraft cos my local shop has one and I like the shape and also the Nitro Slash which comes in at a 166cms. I even had the credit card out and was punching in the numbers but something didn't work and the sale didn't go through and then calm and serenity returned and I put away the card.

Which one was it, that you nearly bought?

Didn't know that next seasons Hovercraft will come in a bigger size, good to know.

I was looking on the Prior site and they have some sales going on. A Khyber in the mid $300's! And then some Spearheads for about $570. They're close enough that driving there to pick it up is doable, save on the shipping.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx

Which one was it, that you nearly bought?

The Nitro, it was about 37k+ import charges
Originally Posted By: SantaCruz
Didn't know that next seasons Hovercraft will come in a bigger size, good to know.

I was looking on the Prior site and they have some sales going on. A Khyber in the mid $300's! And then some Spearheads for about $570. They're close enough that driving there to pick it up is doable, save on the shipping.

SantaCruz, Hovercraft starts at $399 or something ...lot´s of shops do free shipping, too.
In general, the new boards being marketed as Powderboards about 160 size will have to compete at that price. At the moment Charlie Slasher and Fish can be picked up ...
The thing is, if you expect the board to do all things then it gets difficult to choose. Or, you want to ride it this way but the board won´t let you. lol
I want a swallow because I want to put weight on my front and don´t want the nose to dig. Also I don´t want a big nose wide board and I want it to be able to carve. I reckon too much Pintail sucks at carving. At the moment the Pogo is the only one for me that fits the bill but that is one expensive board. If I custom order at Prior, it will end up being the same price. lol
[The Nitro, it was about 37k+ import charges

Import charges? You mean shipping? I thought no tax under Y100K.
I´ve seen Slash cheaper though. US$180 or something.
I´m curious about this ATOMIC Sir Floatalot lol
Next season looks exciting.
Bet ippy will go bonkers lol

I declare my bias straight up... biggrin Flagship 168W

If you want to ride all mountain with excellent powder performance the Flagship is great value for money. Come in your size (though 10-11 seasons board are all sold out I believe) so a JFS 168W is a excellent choice.

However, if you want to get in tight powder stashes around trees and set out with a one track powder mind then the Hovercraft would be nice as well and easier to turn in tighter spaces.

Nice, that feedback helps. Didn't realize that you ride a Flagship Tex, good stuff.

I'm jonesing (lame pun intended) for the Hovercraft. AS Jynxx said, the 11/12 model will be available in a larger side. But from what I can find it'll only be a 160 and non-wide so I don't think that will work for me. As such you may have just convinced me to go for the Flagship when the new ones come out.

Cheers.

Yeh Hovercraft does not come in a wide version and I do not know what the specs of the 160 will be, but even the 156 only gives away 2mm to the 168W Flagship (waist width...JFS 168W - 26.2cm and 156 HC is 26cm), the W I D E is just built in straight up for powder float. The big guys can still ride them.

IMHO if you live on a mountain with access to plenty of powder days per annum is the reason you would want the Hovercraft. Otherwise the Flagship is plenty of POW board and more. The downsides of the Flagship: being a bit of a barge in trees and the like can be overcome by good technique (my technique gets worse as I get older in sync with my loss of flexibility).

Edge to edge the JFS it is pretty quick and it carves very nicely. For POW with Set-back built in I run in centre hole position and add just a little rear weight in deep powder to keep the nose afloat as that is how I like it to feel a little extra power in the roost. Go back a hole and you wouldn't even feel it in the back leg.

The (mellow) magnetraction does what they say it does, don't notice it until you need it.

I would definitely like a Hovercraft but I already have the Flagship and would not change my order of preference... Hovercraft would be pretty good for everything... awesome for POW no doubt but is still a 'speciality' targeted board. Flagship 'all mountain charging' 'nuff' said.

More JFS bias caveats: Many years ago I saw a 'Fatbob 166' with full faux wood grain and just loved the look and have always wanted a pure wood grain board. I love timber and the Flagship finish in untreated exposed timber clear of graphics is a superb look and feel.

Tex_29.JPG

Flagship is a very nice looking board, I'm a big fan of the exposed wood as well.

Jones 2012 line up: http://www.snowcountry.eu/blog/jones_snowboards_2012_ispo/

The 2012 Flagship has some minimal graphics on it but still has the nice exposed wood aesthetic.

The new Hovercraft looks pretty sweet as well, although I'm still a big fan of the 2011. I emailed Jones Snowboards asking them if the Hovercraft would work for me, so we'll see what they say. They're both great boards so it's really a win-win choice.

I live in Seattle, and we don't a lot of light powder around here. But I'm looking for a quiver board for those trips to Whistler and Baker where it's dumping. And more importantly I'm trying to talk myself and some friends into doing a return trip to Niseko this next season, so it'd be great to have there.

OOOOOOHHHH Nice I like that 2011 Hovercraft! Would look good mounted on a wall when not in use smile Maybe I should get it in a split 160 myself and earn some turns in Japan 2012......hhmmmm

Santa Cruz, the Hovercraft is ace! I'm like 5'-8"/180lb/9.5 US shoe and the 156cm "one size" board was a little large for me. The stance width was definitely set-up for someone more your height, since at the innermost holes, I'm still in total "ninja" stance. Floatation in bottomless powder was exceptional even with the length, as this is a mid-wide with lots of surface area. All kitted out, I'm easily in the 200lb. range.

Don't let the wholly directional shape freak you out though, since it has minimal 3-point MagneTraction so it holds turns on hardpack fine, and there is a little kick in back, so you can do limited switch riding on groomers. In other words, when you pop back out onto the groomers from the sidecountry, you can ride back to the lift base as if you were on an everyday board.

Part of the reason the pricing is where it's at is because it is being assembled in the Nidecker factory in Tunisia (yes, Tunisia - I emailed the Jones sales department and got the scoops) where labor costs are lower than in Europe. Build quality is very nice. Mine has a bit of an uneven base grind, but it is more a cosmetic thing than a functional issue.

Haha, so it looks like maybe I convinced you Tex!

Ezo a big thanks for the heads up, this is exactly the kind of info I'm interested in. I've read several reviews of it but none of them mentioned the rider's height, weight, etc. So it sounds like the 160 Hovercraft might work out biggrin

It'd be cool to go split. But realistically since I haven't done back country yet it's probably getting a bit ahead of myself. Don't wanna be the poser who has a split but doesn't use it razz

I emailed Evo.com to ask if they were carrying the 11/12 models. They said that they were really popular this last season and would almost certainly be carrying them again. They do their ordering in late summer. Just gotta play the waiting game now.

Yeh keep an eye on them all SC I got my Jones through Porters Tahoe and they took advanced orders (back order) in September and some sizes went pretty fast.

Mine was the last one that Backcounty/Dogfunk had in stock.

SantaCruz, althought height is supposedly not the primary consideration in sizing a board and weight is, I thought I'd mention it here specifically because rider height is related to stance width. In all honesty, I wouldn't recommend the 156 Hovercraft to someone below 5'-6" regardless of weight, unless they really enjoy popping their groin muscles. I guess if you're short and have a freakinshly long inseam, you might be OK with the innermost stance width.

Interesting point - stance width, that is.

I had a freeriding/powder riding tip thread going and I quoted height~stance width :

5ft6 ~20.5in ... 5ft8 ~22in ... 6ft ~23in+

Most would agree that if you ride a longer board, one would widen their own stance. I didn´t quote the length of the board on above but it is assumed an longish board (freeriding) so I´d say:

156~158 (5´6) ... 160 (5´8) ... 163+ (6´)

If you like a shorter stance, then by all means a shorter board makes sense. Since girls have a lower centre of gravity, they seem to do well without having to make their stance wider like guys do (and lowering the centre), and just bending their knees. I look at myife and kinda admire how she can ride with a higher body position.

I´m 5´8 and I don´t have the westerner´s long inseam, but I´m flexible and I ride about 22.5+ width. I change my stance depending on the board or day.

I find also by increasing the duck stance it´s easier to widen the stance.

Anyways, it´s all about the feel, so you just gotta find out.

One thing I like about the Jones boards is the wide latitude of stance/binding setup possibility. Lot´s of holes to play around with. Especially the Flagship.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: SantaCruz
I've been to the Prior factory near Whistler for a tour. Pretty interesting and worth checking out if you're in the area and the riding isn't too good for the day.

I have been there too, really interesting. thumbsup
And definitely a good placer to go in poor weather.
  • 2 months later...

I'm seeing some 2012 Jones boards pop up as pre-orders/backstock on some websites now. So far I've seen Hovercraft, Hovercraft split, Solution and Mountain Twin. I put a Hovercraft 160 on pre-order from some place in Minnesota. $400 w/ no tax and no shipping smile

Still keeping my eyes peeled for a Flagship 168W, I haven't seen any of those up for pre-order yet.