seems that this is a good place to get an idea about injuries.

about 4 weeks ago I finished boarding for teh day and noted that my shoulder was very sore. It continued to be very sore for a few days, but I kept boarding. I thought I had just over strained it, nothing serious as i couldn't even remember which incident caused the injury.

4 weeks later and it is still very sore and particularly so in the morning. Sleeping is not so comfortable either.

I have full range of movement with the pain only appearing in some phases of shoulder movement. Carrying a heavy bag doesn't really cause pain, but attempting to reach up and put the palm of my hand agaimy eye (and extert a little pressure as though I am rubbing my eye) does cause pain. Likewise I can't hold onto the rings on the train ceiling.

If it isn't serious (ie I can still use my shoulder pretty well), why isn't it healing?

I have this sort of pain all the time, in various places. I think it doesn't heal because it's a vicious cycle sort of thing. Pain causes tension causes pain.

Stop the pain with some painkillers and maybe stretching/massage, get a good night's sleep, and if there's nothing fundamentally wrong, it should go away.

I heard that putting a chestnut up the wazoo also works well on the distraction principle.

db - I feel ya man. I had a nasty wreck at Appi on my second trip up this season. I was doing about 40kmh on an icy slope and decided to hit a lip off on the side of the trail. I flew about 40 feet and landed on an uphill side of a bump and went down hard right on my left shoulder. It hurt like hell, but all the pieces were there and I could move. As the season went on I had a nagging pain in that shoulder, but nothing I couldn't live with. Two weeks ago at Hachimantai I went off a cornice that turned out being a lot bigger than I thought. I landed weird and my pole jammed my left arm up. I was skiing with a doctor that day and he agreed to check me out. Well, turns out I had a hairline fracture and some messed up ligaments.

The fracture has basically healed since I first did this in December but the ligaments haven't. Because I kept skiing all season, they never got a chance to heal. I haven't been out in two weeks now and it is actually feeling better. The doc wants me to come in in two weeks for a cortizone shot for some reason - promote the healing I guess??

Your injury doesn't sound serious but I'm sure it is nagging. Personally, I would take a week or two off and then finish up the season and then let it heal. But I'm an idiot and punish my body too much. That's why I'm out for good now.

Take some rest, take ibuprofen to get whatever internal swelling down there may be, and take it easy on it. Pain killers will only block the pain but do nothing to promote healing. You may even hurt it worse if you go out on them.

Hey Ocean, what will distract me from shoulder AND knee pain? A honeydew melon perhaps?

you see, it is my left shoulder and i can't get the desired action with my left hand, so it cant be what you are thinking.

your are talking about beating eggs aren't you?

hey plucky - it certainly isn't a bad injury, I am just suprised that it has not gone away. All it does is hurt a bit, nothing worse. I am taking this weekend off to give it a break before the end of season rush to reach 50 days.

> Hey Ocean, what will distract me from shoulder AND knee pain?

A good hard kick in the nuts I should think... That would top the long list of more or less stupid ideas I have on the subject.

Seriously though, for people who generally get about without hairline fractures all over but who still experience nagging pain, the short dose of aspirin is worth giving a try.

Tiger balm DOES NOT WORK. Just makes you smell funny. Trust me, I tried. Ice also is hit or miss. Alcohol on the otherhand, can help and help greatly. Barok must be pre-med.

Hey Ocean - I'm not particular on the crotch kicking, but how about a good cockpunching? I'd dig that!

Sorry DB - but read this....

Torn Rotator Cuff

What Is a Torn Rotator Cuff?

One or more rotator cuff tendons may become inflamed from overuse, aging \:D , a fall on an outstretched hand, or a collision . Sports requiring repeated overhead arm motion or occupations requiring heavy lifting also place a strain on rotator cuff tendons and muscles. Normally tendons are strong, but a longstanding wearing down process may lead to a tear.

What Are the Signs of a Torn Rotator Cuff?

Typically, a person with a rotator cuff injury feels pain over the deltoid muscle at the top and outer side of the shoulder, especially when the arm is raised or extended out from the side of the body. Motions like those involved in getting dressed can be painful. The shoulder may feel weak, especially when trying to lift the arm into a horizontal position. A person may also feel or hear a click or pop when the shoulder is moved.

How Is a Torn Rotator Cuff Diagnosed?

Pain or weakness on outward or inward rotation of the arm may indicate a tear in a rotator cuff tendon. The patient also feels pain when lowering the arm to the side after the shoulder is moved backward and the arm is raised. A doctor may detect weakness but may not be able to determine from a physical examination where the tear is located. X rays, if taken, may appear normal. An MRI can help detect a full tendon tear, but does not detect partial tears. If the pain disappears after the doctor injects a small amount of anesthetic into the area, impingement is likely to be present. If there is no response to treatment, the doctor may use an arthrogram, rather than an MRI, to inspect the injured area and confirm the diagnosis.

How is a Torn Rotator Cuff Treated?

Doctors usually recommend that patients with a rotator cuff injury rest the shoulder, apply heat or cold to the sore area, and take medicine to relieve pain and inflammation. Other treatments might be added, such as electrical stimulation of muscles and nerves, ultrasound, or a cortisone injection near the inflamed area of the rotator cuff. The patient may need to wear a sling for a few days. If surgery is not an immediate consideration, exercises are added to the treatment program to build flexibility and strength and restore the shoulder's function. If there is no improvement with these conservative treatments and functional impairment persists, the doctor may perform arthroscopic or open surgical repair of the torn rotator cuff.

Thanks for the info Higuma.

I didn't know I had a rotor cuff. I suppose I actually have two of them. I like the sound of the rotor cuff.... reminds me of something you might find in an all wheel drive vehicle.

It hurts like hell every morning and I struggle to have a good night sleep due to the discomfort.

damn rotor cuff.

Yeah dude, that sucks. I think you should tell the skipper to take you out of the starting rotation and maybe put you in the bullpen for a few weeks. You shouldn't be pitching more than an inning or two with that kind of injury.