SJ resort page said closed when I checked around 7am, I didn't think of checking the "now" page. A call to Madarao with no. obtained from helpful resort page confirmed it was business as usual and we had a great time. Thanks for the tickets! I'll post a full report with pics in the next few days.

• SnowJapan Admin

The "Resort Status" data on the resort pages will not be updated at 7am for any resorts. That particular bit of data is supplied to us automatically and is actually originally coming from the resorts themselves. It takes time and if I am correct it is probably 9am-10am before that is updated and it is also only changed once a day. There's really no way round that. So it is not really something to use as 'word' in extraordinary times like these. This kind of thing is not happening often!

In abnormal situations like this when you want to check the opening status of a resort early on a day in circumstances like we have now, I would highly recommend contacting them directly (as you did). They will be the ones who know what's going on right now.

We do try to make this clear on the page linked to on all the resort pages

** ABOUT FORECASTS & DAILY UPDATES - PLEASE READ **

Quote:
The Snow Depth Data associated with each resort is updated once a day - and that data is ultimately being provided by the snow resorts themselves. (We do not have any control over these official snow depth numbers or resort status data, so please keep this in mind).

You will find that the data displayed is for the most part accurate and up-to-date, and we hope that it is of great assistance to all our readers during the winter. However, there may be some occasions when - for some reason - a resort does not update the snow depth info or resort status instantly. This means that even though our database has been updated at the time that is stated at the top of the pages, the Snow Depth and Resort Status data for a particular resort may not have been updated specifically at that time. Unfortunately, those instances are completely beyond our control, as we rely on the resorts themselves to update the data - but we stress that in general these kind of delayed updates are isolated cases.

PLEASE NOTE:

- Snow Japan does not control (and cannot verify) the data that is displayed on the Weekly Weather forecast, Resort Status and Snow Depth pages of our site. That data is provided by a reputable weather information company, and is the best that we have available.

- The Snow Depth info for each resort is updated once a day, and this data is coming from each individual snow resort.

- Especially at the very beginning and end of the season, or during a natural disaster or quickly changing circumstances, before making any big decisions about whether to visit a resort or not, we recommend that you contact the resorts directly. We are in no way responsible for any travel (or other) decisions that readers make based on this data presented on our site.

- If a resort is late in providing a snow depth report, then the info updated in our database will also be unavoidably late. The latest information will be updated on Snow Japan as soon as it is available.