Originally we wanted to hit up Myoko after they had an 80cm dump but it was not to be, so after scrambling around on Thursday trying to find spaces on a night bus to a ski area, we eventually got Inawashiro in Fukushima. I've been up to Gran Deco and Alts Bandai before so I was reasonably confident that the snow would be decent. We left Shinjuku at 10.30pm on the Friday and TBH the journey was a bit of a killer, we stopped for an hour at a Road Stop, when we asked the driver why, she replied that it was so the "times of the journey could match the opening of the resort.....we don't want to be too early!". This left us thinking, why the hell didn't we leave later then?! So after this explanation at least we'd get there for 1st lifts, however we actually arrived there at 4.20am!! omg We had to wait on the bus about an hour and a half before the resort staff arrived for their day's work and let us into the cafe/hire shop.

As the sun came up my heart sank as I could see that the dumpage that Niigata got had not made it up to Fukushima. The pistes looked well groomed and there was still plenty snow everywhere, just not the fresh depth that I was dreaming of. We DID get on the 1st lift, so that was a bonus. The snow was in great condition, still soft underfoot which meant the groomers were fast but forgiving. After a few top to bottom runs to get a feel of the place I decided to head off under the top lift on the Chuo side, nice fresh powder turns. Not deep by any standards but well nice all the same. We headed over to the Minero side and checked that out, but I preferred the Chuo side. The snow was a little icy over here and the ungroomed top slope was a Monster Mogul Minefield....not good. I tried to head off for some tree action but the Patrol saw me and put the kibosh on that idea, still they did say that I could ride under the lift if I wanted to where the snow was still soft and untouched so not bad. There are 2 park areas, 1 on either side and they were fun to build confidence on. All in all I really enjoyed my day here and I would like to return for sure, snow could've been better but it wasn't bad, in better nick than the snow I got at Togari onsen a couple of weeks ago. The bottom of the Chup side is really wide and not too steep so top to bottom cruising is lots of fun. plenty tree areas to play in that aren't roped off, just don't let the patrol see you.

Tubby%20Beaver_161.JPG

Tubby%20Beaver_162.JPG

Tubby%20Beaver_163.JPG

Tubby%20Beaver_164.JPG

Tubby%20Beaver_165.JPG

Tubby%20Beaver_166.JPG

Tubby%20Beaver_167.JPG

This is from the top of Chuo, those trees to the left were fun to play in, the entrance to the run under the lift is just on the left.

Looks quite nice! Was thinking of heading there myself at some point. Also worth checking out in that area is Nekoma - probably the best powder snow around there and a relaxed patrol. I'd like to visit the area for camping/hiking in the summer too - very scenic.

Bus sounds like a PITA - I think it might be better to head to resorts further away on the night bus to avoid getting there at ridiculous-O'clock, hours before the resort opens.

TBH though I thought it WAS further away, but actually it took less time than any trip I've made up to Niigata or Nagano. If you have a car then I'd drive it. The expressway up there is nothing like the Kan-Etsu (which probably explains a lot), in that it wasn't busy, traffic flowed easily and the bus whored along the road. smile

Interesting you mention Nekoma, I hadn't heard much about that place....must do a bit of digging.

Nice pics. I would like to go back there some time when the weather is clear.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
TBH though I thought it WAS further away, but actually it took less time than any trip I've made up to Niigata or Nagano. If you have a car then I'd drive it. The expressway up there is nothing like the Kan-Etsu (which probably explains a lot), in that it wasn't busy, traffic flowed easily and the bus whored along the road. smile

I really hate the Kan-Etsu. There would be so many more places in reasonable range for me if it weren't for the traffic jams on that road.

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Some of that scenery reminds me of the Minamiuonuma valley here somehow. smile

I know what you mean muika.

Thanks for the report TB.

The biggest annoyance is the one-lane 'expressway' part that goes from Niigata right through to near there.

Get behind a truck or some old ojisan and you're quickly in hair-pulling territory.

grandpa