Right now Channel 6 TBS (out of bounds propaganda)

The Bad Gaijins and Nihonjins, to some extent, ignoring the rules (wonder if there are any featured SJers). They are filming for some tbs news propaganda piece at Nozawa onsen, how the diligent brave ski patrol have to put up with bad mannered skiers/boarders.

Highly insightful into the everyday neurosis in this country.

Of course the Ozzies are getting roped into the blame smile

Anyone else watching??

I suppose back to the real news of today how Minako Komakai will or won't leave the Phillipines

For the sake of argument, if the big majority of the people 'ignoring the rules' and causing problems after the fact are gaijin - which when I have been at Nozawa is very much the case - what are they supposed to say?

It's news.

Would be the same anywhere.

The knickers in a twist at everything like this really makes me laugh. It's a similar kind of neurosis that you are accusing them of.

It's not what are they supposed to say, it is how it is structured and put forward, the spin on it.

Anyway if you had seen the piece, it might have made more sense. It was like someone has been reading the discussions on these forums.

And the only person with their knickers in a twist is Minako Komakai it seems, today's real news story.

You know...

I wonder if these ski patrols have a peer group pressure. Like parking cops - how many duckers have you busted today, laddie?

OR. They just wanna keep out of bounds for themselves.

Most of them probably are volunteers with badge test 1, no idea of backcountry stuff other than their local backyard.

Here´s a bit of Japanese wisdom.

1) It´s not scary to cross even when the traffic light is RED - if there are lots of people doing it with you.

2) A nail that sticks out get banged.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Just pick the Resorts that are cooler with rope ducking everyone.

Fantastic idea Jynxx.
I look forward to not seeing you in Nozawa... thumbsup

... where actually the resort is generally pretty cool.

They just don't like complete 'appendages'* tooling around and taking the piss. Which is perfectly reasonable.

(* thanks Metabo, great word)

This is an old post...but rope duckers might want to have of read of this story currently going on & resulting in a lawsuit against the ski hill by ski patrolllers for simply doing there job. It might make some of you think twice before venturing into those closed areas again.

"Support the Sunshine 7"

More here:

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/400532/Ski_Resort_owner_s_son_v_ski_p.html

Let´s get one thing straight.

By all means, be polite to the patrol. No point in being an asshole.

You are going to get the opposite extremes of moral value where ever you are.

Use your brain. I said be a good Ninja.

If you are a minority ducking rope in unfriendly territory rule (2) applies. Nail that sticks out get banged. Even a friendly patrol can get this when amongst his colleages being ducking-unfriendly. So, he has to enforce. Peer group pressure.

But if there are so many people doing it (thanks for being ignorant) it can have a good outcome. They might just give up because they don´t have the resource to enforce anymore.

(I think this is the reason why this TBS stuff came out)

Resuling in change of policy. All it need is to make "out of bounds" popular.

OUT OF BOUNDS IS NOT A CRIME

someone make a T Shirt?

Then some of you might complain that all the out of bounds are tracked out if it gets popular. lol

I just want to add that every place has its own feel. I´m not talking mountains but people. If people want the change, it might happen. then again, not. So, local politics, policy, clients will set the direction. I don´t have a problem with that. (even if it sucks)

By the way, my cousin was a ski instructor at Noz and his mates were cool, too.