1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

I have been having an on going discussion (argument) with mates regarding the heat molding of snowboard boots. Personally I believe it is not a good idea, as it can shorten the life of the boots by causing them to pack out quicker.

Anyone have an opinion on this one??

I can´t vote on this one.

(A)I can take your side by saying, I just wear a thin sock with my boots every evening watching telly and doing stuff for a few hours, and it will be heat molded after a few days.

(B)I can argue against you and say, show me proof that the gel inner will pack out quicker by heat. Of course no effect on the outer shell by heat molding.

The inner lining will feel loose after time (in my case about 30 days) naturally being on the snow.

I´d start thinking about putting inserts in between the inner lining and outer shell anyway. It packs out because of the friction/movement from your feet....

I actually do (A) but for the first time use a hair dryer and warm the inside a little bit. (not excessively)

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
(B)I can argue against you and say, show me proof that the gel inner will pack out quicker by heat. Of course no effect on the outer shell by heat molding.
The inner lining will feel loose after time (in my case about 30 days) naturally being on the snow.
I´d start thinking about putting inserts in between the inner lining and outer shell anyway. It packs out because of the friction/movement from your feet....

From experience; I had my first 2 pairs of boots heat molded...both good quality boots (one was Burton Hail if I remember correctly, the other Salomon I think). I was disappointed that after around 20(ish) days the heel support became less and less. Since then I dont heat mold and have found the support stays longer (30+ days).

I do, however, agree with your above comments Jynxx. Obviously this is all very subjective and unless you get you identical boots, heat mold one, and wear them both for the same about of time and compare the results you may never put this one to bed.