Hi Everyone!

I'm new to this site. A snow enthusiast from sweden, and have been riding for about 6 years. Started quite late at 29 for some reason, but one day I simply thought to myself to give snowboarding a go, and have been in love ever since!

Now, I've been thinking of going to Japan for a few years, but it has never happened. But now i found a reasonably cheap flight to Tokyo and hope you guys might be able to help me with some questions i have.

The problem is, i looked for flights yesterday, and the flight is this monday (3rd of january), so that gives me two or three days to plan the whole thing, and I know *nothing* about getting around in Japan!!

All i know is that i want to go to Niseko (i think) and that I'd like to stay in a hostel/dorm room for cheap accomodation. I have found a website where i can book a flight from Tokyo to Sapporo for about 27,000 yen one way. And i have of course found this website which has a wealth of great information! So i'll keep digging around here.

Mainly i wonder what a reasonable price per night is, and where to stay etc (i'm traveling on my own). I should probably find accomodation before taking off, right? I have done these sort of last minute trips before, but only to english speaking countries, so this is a bit scary! But i think i will be able to play it by ear with a few good advice from you fine people!

Thanks in advance!

Hey Snowdust,

Welcome! Flights from Tokyo to Sapporo can be as cheap as 9000Â¥ but at this late date you may have found the best price. Check Airdo and Skymark for cheap flights. Most domestic flights are from Haneda airport and most international flights are into Narita so there is a really good chance you'll have to transfer between airports which can be a bit frustrating.

From Sapporo airport (Shin- Chitose) you'll want to take a bus to Niseko. The bus companies are called White-liner, Chuo and Donan. You can search for more information on their websites but I think the trip should be about 4000Â¥ round trip.

There aren't as many budget accommodation options in Niseko any more but there is a youth hostel in the Annupuri area and a couple of backpackers in Hirafu. The cheapest backpackers is about 3000Â¥/night/person but I think it might be hard to find availability at those places. I think a good price is about 5000Â¥/n/p which would include breakfast.

As for language problems to / in Niseko I don't think you have anything to worry about. The majority of people working there speak English.

Have fun and enjoy the j-pow!

Niseko IS an English speaking country...well...it seems that way!

You will have no problem with communication.

It is a very busy time of year but you should be able to find some accommodation in the backpacker/budget hostel/budget lodge range. Start phoning some of them and ask for recommendations of others if they don't have anything available.

There's still plenty of places in Niseko to find cheap accomm. Throughout all the base areas there's still many pensions and backpacker type accommodation which is really good value. I wouldn't suggest the Annupuri youth hostel though as it's nowhere near the base of the resort or anything for that matter. It is a very busy time to come though and you may struggle to find any availability this late.

Thanks so much for all the info, very helpful!

I actually found a ticket all the way from home to Sapporo (chitose), bypassing Tokyo, which makes it simpler, and it turned out about 36,000 yen cheaper! It's with Japan airlines.

Going to call some accommodations on new years day, hope the phones are staffed... If I can find a decent living below 5,000 yen per night, I'm definitely going!!

I'm wondering if I should just spend a few days at Niseko Grand Hirafu, and also try somewhere else reasonably nearby, if there is one. I'm mostly after the untouched snow, so I prefer a less crowded place really.

And as for the language, i started a self teach japanese audio course some years ago, time to pick that up again! I remember i could say a few useful phrases!

Thanks all, and Happy New Year!