Originally Posted By: seemore
Thanks for that.

Are they double lense though.

My eyes or around my eyes sweat and heavy breathing heates up the inside and its cold on the outside so we get fog.

I was wandering if the double lenses would still fog in this situation.

Seemore or less depending on the goggles.

If your face tends to sweat a lot, you'll probably have some fogging issue even if you use double-lens goggles. This is especially an issue if you run a helmet and face mask/bandana. The helmet tends to overhang and block the top vents of the goggle, reducing airflow, and the face mask will trap the warm, moist air from your breathing and let it rise directly up into the lower vents of the goggles.

If I'm cranking heat at the bottom of the hill after a hard run down, I'll lift the goggles up onto my helmet, even though the wisdom is "keep the goggles on your face". If I don't, they'll fog up in the lift line and ice up when they get cold at the top of the lift.

Pulling the face mask away from your chin and lifting it (as opposed to pulling it down around your neck) can reduce breath fogging when you're doing up the bindings, catching your breath after hiking the pipe, etc. Shaun White does that with his everpresent bandito bandana.

I really don´t like wearing goggles. Most of the time it´s over my helmet collecting snow. Probably the only times I wear it is when I´m on the lift and it´s windy, or it´s foggy, or my eyes starts to hurt from UV.

It was just a stick that had a foam applicator at one end and she rubbed it on and let it dry and away she went. Don't know the name but it wasn't expensive.....in fact it looked like a Pritt-Stick

OK, I just did some experiments using an old pair of goggles and a boiling kettle. I rubbed various things onto one side of the lens and kept the other clean and then held the goggles in the steam coming from the kettle.

Results:

Low fluorinated ski wax : no noticable effect.

Lip balm : no noticable effect.

Washing up liquid : Side wiped with washing up liquid did not fog up in the steam at all - non-exposed side was almost dripping with condensation!

Conclusions:

Smearing neat washing up liquid on you goggles and wiping off the excess with a tissue could significantly reduce goggle fogging problems.

Please note: What you do with your goggles is your business - I dont take any responsibility for you managing to mess up your expensive goggles by putting neat washing up liquid on them!

Ok. I admit it. Im getting a bit bored waiting for it to snow.

Yep, plain old washing up liquid for washing the dishes. I havent done any experiments yet to determine whether or not it evaporates into your eyes, but I doubt it - you wipe almost all of it off and detergents are not very volatile anyway.

What it will do to the high-tech coatings sometimes used on more expensive goggles is another matter...!

Cheers Gary

This afternoon I may try some experiments myself.

I found my anti fog Dive Goggle stick (Lip Balm looking thing).

And I will compare with dish washing detergent and a kettle.

Let you know.

Seemore

I have some liquid anti-fog drops... smells alcohol based. It's sold for desert combat goggles, but I'm pretty sure it is the same stuff they sell for swimming goggles or diving masks. Seems to work better than not having anything on the inside of the lens. The active ingredient is probably the same as a stick product, just suspended in a volatile carrier.

The active ingredient is very likely a surfactant. The surfactant helps to stop the water condensing on the lens forming droplets, and instead it forms a transparent film which you can see through.

Funnily enough, surfactants are also the active ingredient in washing up liquid.