Trip Itinery and questions

Hi All,

I am currently planning a trip to Japan, mainly for skiing but also some sight seeing this January. So far the plan is;

28th Arrive in Tokyo for 5 nights including NYE (with Friends)

2nd Travel to Hakuba for a weeks skiing (with Friends)

9th Travel to Kyoto for 4 nights (with my partner)

13th & 14th yet to decide - maybe somewhere like Osaka (with my partner)

15th Travel back to Tokyo to meet up with friends and travel up to Niseko

Our friends will be skiing the whole time but since my girlfriend isn't into skiing that much we thought it best to take time off in-between to see some of Japan. So my questions are;

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do on the 13th & 14th? Is it worth maybe going to Hiroshima?

Is there anything or anywhere I should stop or spend a night on my travels that I haven't listed?

Is it worth getting a rail pass? Even just a 7 day one for travel between Hakuba and Tokyo (9th-15th)

I added up the separate trips from Hakuba to Kyoto to Tokyo and it was approx 23000yen so not sure if it is worth paying the difference (7 day pass is 28300yen) for ease of use, (ie. dont have to buy tickets at each station and flexible to travel elsewhere like Hiroshima for extra days)

Regarding flights how do I go about booking. I can see that the flights from Narita to Sapporo are already full but plenty of flights from Haneda to Sapporo but how do I go about booking the Discount Air Tickets that foreigners get? The booking sites are very confusing.

Thanks,

Bernie

Hi Bernie

Welcome.

No , Don't know thiugh sounds interesting.

Don't know.

Don't know.

Don't know.

Organise through a travel agent.

Oh and I will be in Hakuba early Jan and don't have any friends.

Hope that helps.

Seemore

If you have the JR pass you could ride the shink up north to Hachinohe(I think thats the end of the line) then you could take a train over into Hokkaido and up to Niseko. I think that would be covered by your rail pass, so you save money on your flight and perhaps you could spend a day somewhere up North. While I really liked Osaka, you are going to Tokyo and at the end of the day both are just big cities, that may be your thing but I'd rather be riding an extra day than traipsing round another city. I'd say pick 1, do Kyoto for the cultural aspect, then head up north

• 1 year later...

If you have the JR complete you could journey the shink up northern to Hachinohe then you could take a practice over into Hokkaido and up to Niseko. I think that would be protected by your practice complete, so you invest less on your journey and perhaps you could invest a day somewhere up North.

• SnowJapan Admin

No, he doesn't snowjunky - he did that once, and that was my fault, but I would prefer for us not make a big issue of it in public on the Forums.

If he is legit, he can email me back.

:friend: