I spent most of last season thinking about getting a new board. After many hours of online research, deliberation and talking to (and boring) anyone who would listen, I narrowed my choice down to 2:- one of the original YES boards (the 156.5, yellow and purple one with camrock, an assymetric sidecut and serrated edges) and a Ride Machete - both highly acclaimed boards with interesting rocker technology. The YES board was my 1st choice, mainly because of the spec but I also liked the story behind it’s creation. wink However, many other people obviously thought the same and it quickly sold out! I finally managed to track one down in the US but baulked at the hassle and additional cost of shipping it to Japan. I therefore ended up buying my 2nd choice Machete in the end-of-season Tokyo sales.

So what’s the point of this post?? Well, I’ve now found “my†YES board for sale in Kawasaki! doh It’s 60% off the Japanese RRP but still a hefty 31,500 Yen (240GBP/$375US). I don’t need it, I can’t afford it and if I’m honest, the Machete is a better match for my riding style, but I still can’t stop thinking about buying it!!! So please, do as this post's subject heading says and........

I have been swithering over a new board since Ippy mentioned that damned TBT stuff on Bataleon boards. ALMOST bought one as well, credit card was out and ready to go but the company fannyed about and sense prevailed. I don't NEED a new board, but god damned I want one!! biggrin

you got your pow board yet? Camrock sucks anyway, its like rocker, and its like camber, only its a crap rocker, and the camber isnt primed enough to load it... Its the worst of both worlds. Go and buy something with R+C/c2/flying v/gullwing instead.

Or better yet, buy a pow stick for furano. Seriously, think what you could add to your quiver instead for that cash instead of buying two sticks that do pretty much the same thing (only the machete wins because it has a proper FK style rocker for your fields of pow, and if there was one thing my scope was pretty awesome on it was pow... well actually there were many). Honestly, camrock versus lowrize in furano, Lowrize wins.

$200 on the 157 funkink/ 157/161 project green by the way at evo right now with coupon code. smile Im still waiting for cyber monday to decide.

I realised this year im really after avi instruction and buying my safety gear. Might have scored a decently priced BCA tracker, but my plane ticket just jumped up $150 so swings and roundabouts. Evo had a great deal the other week for BC gear, but the second they dropped the price on the funkink, the deal on the tracker ended so if i bought them both on black friday it would have worked out more expensive :( I cried.

PS. I only have 3 decks but have one coming from being a forum moderator at the other place that i wont mention smile probably grabbing the CAMROCK-TASTIC Black snowboard of death if they let me razz

Nah...

Go hardcore and get something looong.

No point in getting something identical.

Hokkaido snow will make up for anything you ride for starters, and secondly, no board whatever technology is going to get you out of the flat unless you go long and wide. Like 180.

It´s all a compromise. You got what you need (ie: trees...) still, 156 is a bit short.

Originally Posted By: ippy
buy a pow stick for furano.

I'd love a Gentem Stick but I could do a whole season for the price of one of those babies omg

In the meantime, I'll make do with the Machete so thanks for your thoughts on Ride's lowrize rocker/Nidecker's camrock - I think I made the right decision! clap
Originally Posted By: Mick Rich

I'd love a Gentem Stick but I could do a whole season for the price of one of those babies omg

You need a milestone birthday and lovely wife wink
I got Papa his for his 40th, and my friend just gave her hubby one day before yesterday for his 50th.
There are advantages* to getting old. LOL

*(Mainly that you stop thinking about what else you could do with that money, and hanging on to it for a rainy day or retirement - coz ya realize life is short - ENJOY!)

Not wrong there. wink
Plenty of choice for about and under USD1000
You need a milestone birthday and lovely wife wink

I've had both of those but still don't have a Gentem sadface
Awwww... console

Must admit both of those of us that bought them for the hubby's are rather obsessed boarders also.

LOL

You guys are funny.

If I had access to Bill Gates fortune I would LOVE to be Mrs Christmas going around the world making wishes come true - that would seriously rock. No wonder Oprah loves giving stuff to her audiences.

Wrapping presents for Christmas today - after a party for about 150 here yesterday - feeling mighty Chirstmassy - might even stick some carols on while I toil with the paper, tape and ribbon wink

Thank God I don't have to wrap anything as big and awkward as a snowboard this year though.

I agree there is no need having 2 boards that are similar.

I do understand the predicament though.

If you have the money just do it.

I look at it like if I had to hire one it would cost (X) so If I buy it and use it for awhile and sell it on Ebay then it pays for it self.

My only issue is lugging too much gear around.

Seemore

Problem is Seemore you get attached to them.

I have not ridden my K2 Luna since January when I got the Burton Troop - the Luna is shorter, and I can handle the longer board well now, so I just haven't got the old girl out. But I can't seem to part with her (my first board and all).

If you can buy and sell and keep it manageable then more power to you.

But of all the boards that have come into this house - not one has left again.

MB

The only board we have left from last year is one of my daughters Burton Feathers everything else has been replaced and mind you I made money on them all.

Picked up a Brand new Burton Fish from Cashies for $100 this year.

I really enjoy the buying and researching as it keeps me excited about the trip.

I may even have a go at shaping a powder board next year.

Seemore

Actually, Seemore it´s not a bad idea. Thinking about making my own powderboard, too.

When you look at some boards they make that is flat, call it some bullshit like FK , or charlie-slasher, (which is just a rough banana shape, two intersecting plane), you realise if it is just for pure deep powder, you dont need to mould your board to a curve. You just need to think about the point of leverage you will give the board by where you put the 6x2 insert setback.

I´m just going to throw on a few bags of 40kg concrete bags to laminate the board. Easy! No press, no vacume bags.

Fortunately, all the materials like p-tex base and edges are made in Germany.

Seemore,

Marine ply is expensive and won´t give me the stiffness.

I´m going to glue wood stringers. Edges only for effective length plus.

Deep powder board, 172 cm

Only problem here is how to get high temp to set the epoxy. No worries there in WA.

Good score on the fish, by the way.

While I tip my hat in reverence to you all...handymen all...I put making my own snowboard in the same category as making my own 5 tier wedding cake the night before the wedding.

Not something I would consider, enjoy OR do well. wink