Watch out TB!

Scotland's beaver-trapping plan has wildlife campaigners up in arms

Scottish National Heritage's plan to catch 20 beavers highlights problem of animals escaping from private collections

Beavers-007.jpg

Quote:
An urgent campaign has been launched to capture up to 20 beavers that have colonised rivers and lochs and are freely breeding in the wild.

The unpublicised project has been authorised by Scottish Natural Heritage, the government wildlife body, after it emerged that a large number of beavers had taken root following a series of escapes from private collections in Angus and Perthshire over the past decade.

Some wildlife experts believe that more than 50 beavers could be roaming free: families of beavers, and evidence of their lodge building, have been regularly seen by villagers and naturalists around Invergowrie on the outskirts of Dundee, Forfar in Angus, Glamis in Perthshire, and Tentsmuir near the mouth of the river Tay.

The animals will be trapped and given to the Royal Zoological Society of Scotland, which houses beavers at its Highland wildlife park and is closely involved with the UK's only official beaver reintroduction scheme at Knapdale forest in Mid-Argyll.

I dunno all those beavers "freely breeding".

naughty

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
Watch out TB!

Scotland's beaver-trapping plan has wildlife campaigners up in arms

Scottish National Heritage's plan to catch 20 beavers highlights problem of animals escaping from private collections

Beavers-007.jpg

Quote:
An urgent campaign has been launched to capture up to 20 beavers that have colonised rivers and lochs and are freely breeding in the wild.

The unpublicised project has been authorised by Scottish Natural Heritage, the government wildlife body, after it emerged that a large number of beavers had taken root following a series of escapes from private collections in Angus and Perthshire over the past decade.

Some wildlife experts believe that more than 50 beavers could be roaming free: families of beavers, and evidence of their lodge building, have been regularly seen by villagers and naturalists around Invergowrie on the outskirts of Dundee, Forfar in Angus, Glamis in Perthshire, and Tentsmuir near the mouth of the river Tay.

The animals will be trapped and given to the Royal Zoological Society of Scotland, which houses beavers at its Highland wildlife park and is closely involved with the UK's only official beaver reintroduction scheme at Knapdale forest in Mid-Argyll.

I dunno all those beavers "freely breeding".
naughty

haha, funnily enough thats where I'm from!! My family better watch out!! biggrin
Strange to read that because last year they just re-introduced wild beaver's back into the scottish countryside for the first time in 300 years. If their intention was to repopulate the countryside with them, it looks like the species needs no help!

Go Beaver's!!!

A beaver story

George goes to the doctor for his annual check up. Doc says how are you feeling George. George replys - never better Doc, I am 86 years old have a 26 year old girlfriend and she is expecting our baby, what do you think about that?

Doc thinks for a while and says, George sit down for a while, I want to tell you a story.

I have an old mate in Canada who loves to hunt in the BC back country. He was creeping up to a waterhole when he noticed this big juicy, fat - sorry I mean tubby - beaver, one of the biggest he had ever seen. He reached behind for the rifle in his quiver, but in his haste to leave that morning he had grabbed a walking stick instead of his rifle. Well, he is bitterly dissapointed, knows he probably won't get an opportunity like this again so just for the hell of it he takes aim with the stick and says Bang, Bang. Unbelievably the tubby beaver drops down stone dead.

The Doc says, well George what do You think about that.

George says, well doc I reckon some other bloke has pumped a couple of rounds into that beaver.

Doc says, My point exactly George, my point exactly. evilgrin