Hiya people, i'm going to be in sapporo late jan for 6days. From previous posts dated 2008 I know that there are a few shops around selling equipment,but no mention of hire? Can some one confirm if there are hire shops and just as importantly that they stock gear for the larger footed amongst us eg 31.5 - 32 boot.

Oh yeah directions names and approx rental prices also appreciated,actually any advice appreciated,google only went so far.

Thanks luk26

... it's not looking positive here.

Maybe bring your own boots (or rent in Aus), or head to Niseko for western sizes. Last season I noticed that Burton US10's (snowboard boots) were "asian fit" - with a smaller foot shape/width.

The real question is why you would hire gear in Sapporo? There are some resorts close to the city which will have ski hire at their bases but they may really struggle with boot sizes you are looking for. I just don't know why you would want to hire gear in Sapporo city itself? What are your skiing plans?

Can't think of any gear hire places in the metropolitan area off the top of my head. Like previous responders have said, you'll be able to rent equipment at the specific resort you visit, but there may be availability issues for boots if you require a size larger than a US9/UK8/EU42/27CM

Firstly thanks for the replies..

My plans are to spend a few days in Sapporo and environs and having a look at the local Ski areas of Kokusai,Teine Highland and Olympia(not exactly sure how many days will be available to me to ski there so was hoping to rent ad hoc so to speak...Then down to Furuno (accom and equip already booked).

I was hoping to avoid having to bring my own boots as I live in the north of Aust. nearest ski shop 6hrs on a 747.....Having spoken to a few shops understandably they're not keen to sell boots over the phone and recommend a personal fitting, to be fair one bloke did suggest faxing an outline of my feet and he would do the best he could(who said service is dead!)

It sounds like Id still be best to bring my own boots even if the fits not perfect for the sapporo leg and perhaps still rent in furuno (or maybe some one can comment on the availaility of size 31.5/32 boots for sale in sapporo)

Sorry about the "epilogue" but I hope it helps to provide more advice..........Thanks again Luk