Hi every one.Have been trying to finalise our feb 2011 trip to Hakuba.

We fly into Osaka spend 3 days then head up to Hakuba.Have our accommodation sorted.We thought we would get a four day flexi jr rail pass like we did last year when we flew into Tokyo. only to find that Osaka is JR west & Hakuba is JR east.We are really only traveling from Osaka up to Hakuba.staying 9 days then heading back to Osaka flying out that same day.If any one has done this trip any tips would be welcome.I know we can get a 14 day JR pass but thought it might be a bit much when we are only railing it for 2 days.Our group is 2 adults & 2 youths. cheers

Black Mountain would you know if you can get one ticket from Osaka thru to Hakuba or have to get a new ticket when you change trains at Nagoya & Matsumoto?

In Osaka you would pay for a ticket to Hakuba. There are about 4 or 5 transfers you'd have to make. You won't have to buy a new ticket at each transfer they would give you all your tickets at the same time. I think there might be a bus as well that would be worth looking into. Making so many transfers would kind of suck I think...

i used to do the hamamatsu to kamishiro (goryu/47) run.

NB. Hakuba station if youre at happo, tsugaike, ikenotaira et al (buses run from there), and kamishiro if yorue staying at hakuba goryu/47

Heres the parts you need.

Osaka ----->Nagoya (shinkansen)

Nagoya -----> matsumoto (ltd express)

matsumotooooooooo ------> shinanomachi (then walk across the platform to a waiting train)

shinanomachi ------> hakuba (local)

if you're cheap and want to local it or use the 18kippu like i used to do, its a little different:

Osaka to kyoto (special rapid)

kyoto to maibara (local)

maibara to ogaki (local)

ogaki to kanayam (rapid)

kanayama to nakatsugawa (special rapid - 300 yen fee)

nakatsugawa to matsumoto (local)

matsumoto to shinanomachi (local)

shinanomachi to kamishiro/hakuba. (local)

Jyuhachi kippu it (check dates) and you just did that for about 2200 yen (but lost a full day travelling).

(and not that its for you, but if youre coming from tokyo its pretty easy):

tokyo ------> Nagano (shinkansen)

nagano ------> Hakuba (Bus - the only train involves you going all the way down to matsumoto then all the way back up to kamishiro).

Buses leave around 8.10 in the morning (if i remember right) round the back side of nagano station (the side without the people and big shop looking buildings).

Thank you every one for the advise.I think we might check out the bus service when we get to Osaka.then we wont have to cart our ski's & boards on and off the trains. thumbsup

I thought about that. but if the bus is right thru we dont really have to drag them around.I think we will have to sort the bus out when we get to Osaka.as I have only found limited info so far.If any one has bused it from Osaka to Hakuba please let me know what you think about it. thumbsup

I guess most of the buses will run overnight so riders can ski the next day. Japanese have no bother sleeping on redeye buses. Westerners on the other hand....

If you arrive in early morning, you won't be able to check in at some/most? accom.

Send ski gear from Osaka airport on arrival. Do Osaka-Matsumoto or Osaka-Nagano bus (more services than Osaka-Hakuba) during day, and then switch to slowww local train (Matsumoto) or quick bus (Nagano) to Hakuba might be easiest way to bus it during daytime.

• 2 weeks later...

Keep us posted.February cant come quick enough.Pissing down on the sunshine coast again.Wish I could win Lotto and buy a ski lodge in Japan.