Last year was very inconvenient for anyone without a Japanese bank account to withdraw cash from an atm if they didn't have a visa card-they pretty much had to go to a post office, at least that was the case in Hakuba. We were in Hakuba recently and my wife managed to use her Australian Cirrus card to withdraw cash from her Australian account at a Seven Eleven convenience store, and apparently you can also use Maestro cards and mastercards this year. Can anyone else confirm this? It certainly would make things a lot easier for travellers to Japan.

ATM's in this country defy belief in the notion that Japan is a Technology leader veryangry Just went to the machine about an hour ago (20:50) only to be told that of course I can't take money out of my own account, its a Sunday night for Christ's sake!! Silly Me veryangry

Originally Posted By: MtHakuba
Thanks GN. A maestro card is a cash card linked to your bank account back home, like any cash card, but enabled for international use. It is not a credit card.

Ah ok. I've been in Japan too long...
Banking here is about where it was in Aus about 30 years ago wink
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
ATM's in this country defy belief in the notion that Japan is a Technology leader veryangry Just went to the machine about an hour ago (20:50) only to be told that of course I can't take money out of my own account, its a Sunday night for Christ's sake!! Silly Me veryangry

Well when I first arrived in Japan, they were only open during bank hours, so there was no point to them at all....

you can use plus, maestro and cirrus over here. 7/11 is open 24hrs. family-mart isn't due to them using mizuho bank facilities which close after 7pm.

Other convinis - don't know as tend to use 7/11 only really.

Although things have improved somewhat, Japanese banks and cash machines are quite possibly the worst in any developed country! They really are unbelievably bad! My bank doesnt open at all on weekends and closes at 3pm every day. My Japanese cash card is not only completely useless abroad, I cant use it in other banks cash machines in Japan, which means outside of Ibaraki, I can only use the machines in the combini (doesnt work in all combini) - and I have to pay to use the machines (price varies depending on time of day)- even at my own bank if its outside of normal bank opening hours! I cant use the card at all after 11pm, and after 9pm on weekends! Of course, if you want to take money out after 11, or 9 on weekends - you're only going to use it for bad stuff!

7/11 are open 24 hrs but it doesn't mean you can get your money out cos of course no one needs money on a Sunday night veryangry
I'm not bitter though smile

out on the lash now TB?

Never had any problems with 7/11 and shinsei banks.

it started off as just a couple of beers with mates about 2.30pm, it then stumbled into a few more and a phone call promising that I'll be home "in a bit" and that "I won't be late" it then became "ah bugger I've no cash left and the ATM isn't playing ball" I then went and face dthe music!! lol

it started off as just a couple of beers with mates about 2.30pm, it then stumbled into a few more and a phone call promising that I'll be home "in a bit" and that "I won't be late" it then became "ah bugger I've no cash left and the ATM isn't playing ball" I then went and face dthe music!! lol

Now....see...if you had only said "Honey, I am going to tie one on tonight" there would be no music to face.

doh When will you boys ever learn.
We don't mind you going to party.
But we hate being kept waiting and worrying.

true BUT its not like we start out lying......it really is meant to ge only 1 or 2 then somewhere along the line, time speeds up exponentially and the next thing you know you've drank 4 or 5 more beers and your way later than you promised to be!! Its that damn infernal time machine

The problem you're making TB is promising to be home at a certain time. I never make this mistake. If asked what time I'll be home the only answer I ever give is whenever I get home, don't wait up. My wife barely ever bothers asking anymore.

We have used Citibank (at Narita) and Post Office Bank atms all over Japan without any problems including Hakuba.

I believe that Seven Eleven charge 210yen to withdraw from MasterCard / Cirrus / Maestro, no fee when using Citibank and Post Bank though.

Originally Posted By: fifa
We have used Citibank (at Narita) and Post Office Bank atms all over Japan without any problems including Hakuba.

I believe that Seven Eleven charge 210yen to withdraw from MasterCard / Cirrus / Maestro, no fee when using Citibank and Post Bank though.

Post offices not quite as convenient as 7-11s etc though, sometimes hard to find.

Doubt it. I think Japanese companies make some pretty high tech solar cells, but they're going to be expensive, and for a vending machine company to use them, they'd have to think it would make them money. I just don't see people in Japan going to use a vending machine in preference to another cos its solar powered.