Thinking of changing one of our cars!

We are thinking of changing our Escudo for one of the new Toyota Vellfires or Honda odysee, etc.

Although nothing wrong with our car it is already coming up for 8 years old, still in perfect condition and runs like clock work, but anyway time for a change.

Just wondering if anyone has one of these large van cars like above, regardless of the make.

If we get one we will of course get a 4WD version, as we need to be able to drive through snow with it.

Compared to the escudo I would expect it to not be able to drive through such deep snow, the escudo is good up to 40-50cm or so.

I want to know how well they drive through snow, both freshly fallen and frozen snow and what sort of depth they can handle?

If anyone has a 4wd version and has driven it through proper snow it would be great to hear from you.

Thanks

I had a Previa, and have a go in my friend's Vellfire.

Hate them both. You are a chauffeur when you drive those vans. More so the Vellfire. But being a passenger is really nice. Very comfortable captain seats, loads of legroom, loads of headspace. Own aircon, own DVD player, otterman, air conditioned seats. Great to be a passenger.

I drive an RX450h now and it's great to be a driver, cos the comfort level is the same as a passenger. Plus, the aircon runs for 30mins when you're parked and the engine is off. Good for waiting and no petrol is being used.

I used to drive a Mistubishi Delica. Awesome 4WD tank. Really good in the snow, sand etc. Sometimes though I wondered if the engine was a little underpowered when driving in the mountains. Being diesel it was a little more affordable to drive as well. For my purposes it was a really good van to drive. It had loads of room for all of my surfing gear and was really comfortable to camp in... not sure how good of a family car it would be though.

If I ever buy another van it'll be a Toyota Hiace.

We've got an old Elgrand. Comfy and massive inside and enough power for all the weight, but the fuel economy is terrible and its very tiring to drive compared to a regular car. People carriers take all the fun out of driving. No problems in snow so far, but we're not on a private (i.e., unplowed) road and don't work outside the house, so I've never had to drive through more than 10-15cm. Its 4wd but not in the same league as 4wd in an SUV with a low gearbox.

If you only carry more than five people a few times a year, I'd buy a regular car and hire/borrow a van when/if I needed one.

Quote:
f you only carry more than five people a few times a year, I'd buy a regular car and hire/borrow a van when/if I needed one.

Totally agree with that. I used the 7 seats at most 3 times in the 2 years I had it.

A friend of mine has one of those giant Honda Elysions. It's AWD with a petrol-sucking 3.5L V6. Haven't really had a chance to ride in it on anything worse than recently snowplowed roads though.

I can't imagine any of these newer mini or micro vans being able to drive in as much fresh snow as an Escudo even with AWD, since they have all kinds of aerodynamic trims and valences all around, and have floorpans that sit significantly closer to the ground.

Thanks for the replys!

I have looked at all the makes and am considering going for the Mitsubishi Delica if we do decide to change, the latest ones look really nice and has a similar set up to the escudor with loads of ground clearance and no junk hanging of the bottom of the car. It also has real 4wd that locks all four wheels not 4wd where all wheels drive individually like most cars these days. I looked at them a couple of weeks ago and thought hmm that could be my next car.

I like the fact that it can also be used as a manual geared car not just auto!

If I have time this weekend I am going to take one for a test drive and see what I think to it.

I also thought the same as Ezorisu stated above that the modern vans are no going to handle anything close to what the escudor can, but I think the Delica will come close.

Anyway not decided yet, but if and when I do I will tell you what I get.

I've heard similar things about several Mitsubishi models. There is a bit of a stigma attached to the brand I think. In my experience the only problem I had was that the converter in the AC broke and it was ridiculously expensive to get fixed (somewhere in the 100,000Y range but I never got it done). I bought it used too.

Never driving my own car in snow, only ever hire vehicles.

And while I do love my very practical 7 seater Chrysler Grand Voyager [Dodge Caravan] I can not wait to trade it in on a more reasonably sized car - preferably a compact fuel guzzling soft top in bright red!

However I don't feel like a chauffeur in mine. Lots of comfort for the driver. And lots of convenience with electric sliding doors and electric tailgate opening - no need to get out and shut the doors after the kids pile out and run away leaving them open! Not sure if they even make them in a 4WD, but as it is this car would be carp in snow - it is a really heavy vehicle and I could see it sliding out very easily.

Originally Posted By: snowdude
Thanks for the replys!
I have looked at all the makes and am considering going for the Mitsubishi Delica if we do decide to change, the latest ones look really nice and has a similar set up to the escudor with loads of ground clearance and no junk hanging of the bottom of the car. It also has real 4wd that locks all four wheels not 4wd where all wheels drive individually like most cars these days. I looked at them a couple of weeks ago and thought hmm that could be my next car.
I like the fact that it can also be used as a manual geared car not just auto!

If I have time this weekend I am going to take one for a test drive and see what I think to it.

I also thought the same as Ezorisu stated above that the modern vans are no going to handle anything close to what the escudor can, but I think the Delica will come close.

Anyway not decided yet, but if and when I do I will tell you what I get.

If you like the concept of the Delica but are concerned about some of the gloom and doom that is being leveled at Mitsubishi products, take a look at a Toyota HiAce or Granvia. Both of those are still truck-chassis based with real 4-wheel drive. Nissan doesn't really have a similar vehicle, the closest being the Elgrand, but that is built on a modified Skyline platform, so is more carlike.

Interesting that. I hire the same driver to go golfing in China. He drives Alphards, Vellfires and Granvias. He hates the Granvia 'cos the tail fishes at anything over 100Kph. Glad I only book the Alphards.

Well I went for another Forester. Got one of the turbo models this time, damn overtaking is an absolte breeze now! Has 12 months shaken left on it. At a cost of not even 1 months salary I'm pretty happy with it.

5140840759_cbbbaeab61.jpg

Nice car. You can get great deals s/h in this country. Cars are really cheap.

I just wish there wasn't so much tax on each car you own. They should tax petrol more instead. Tax folks for driving cars, not owning them.

• 4 weeks later...

Well after lots of looking around and test driving different cars from all the different car manufacturers I have decided to go for the new DELICA D5 Chamonix. It is the only 4WD SUV mini van around and suits our life and hobbies.

Just ordered it today, and should be ready to pick up around 24th Dec, just before the ski season really gets going!

I also like the fact that as well as it having real 4wd lock it also has both a manual and automatic 6 speed gear box, so great as I like manual cars and great for my wife as she likes autos.

I have also decided to put Bridestone winter tyres on it as everywhere seem to say they are the best!