• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because it's almost impossible for foreigners who don't have permanent residency to secure a loan through a Japanese bank. If you're married to a Japanese national and can secure a good guarantor then you have a pretty good chance if the loan is done through your partner (assuming they have a decent income).

Originally Posted By: KRUSTY
So where can you borrow money at 0%????????? The offical rate may be close to 0% but the real lending rate is closer to 2%.

Poor you!! wink our Oficial rate in Oz is 4.5%, so borrowing is at around 6%.
Originally Posted By: JA
So where can you borrow money at 0%????????? The offical rate may be close to 0% but the real lending rate is closer to 2%.

Which is the reason why I'm looking at getting yen loan for my house purchase in Aus! wink

"You have to wonder about future occupancy too with fewer and fewer young people."

Not only less young people to rent to, but:

Older people dying with no-one to take over the house ==> more land available ==> reduced land prices ==> faster depreciation in value of your property.

I moved from the big city about ten years ago, but a quick Net search shows that I could rent a better place than the one I lived in for at least 25% less than in the year 2000.

You can buy a mansion that is said to produce a 10-13% return but for how long? I don't think you can project the current rent into the future. The nasty one too is that as fewer and fewer places take key money, the easier it is for renters to switch to somewhere just a little cheaper. I stayed put living in a real sh!thole for years, but that was I didn't want to give someone a 300,000 yen gift for moving in somewhere else. Compared to then, its a renters' market now.

Yeah, poor me.........the interest on my loan for property in N.Z is just under 6%.
I had enquired about refinancing it a while ago from Japan at a lower rate and the bank here said they would consider it but I never took it any further because of a possible sale of part of the land. If the sale doesnt go ahead in the next six months Im definitely going to try to refinance it from here.

Markets have been up and up again recently amid disappointing unemployment numbers. Seems wall street is hoping for shitty numbers so that Washington keeps throwing more bones their way. ...And the yen usually falls when people start putting more money back into Wall street but it's still way up there as the B of J tries desperately to reign it in. All of this is too much for me to understand. Actually, what I don't understand is why some of the markets (specifically the N. American ones) are doing as well as they're doing. Time to sell? confused

Originally Posted By: Go Native

Which is the reason why I'm looking at getting yen loan for my house purchase in Aus! wink

Hey GN, Don't you have to convert the JP loan into an Aussie loan if you leave Jp? That was my understanding of the one's I looked into, which can work for you but could end up costing more than the interest saved by getting the lower rate.

Yeah but I am looking at keeping my job here and keep getting paid into my Japanese bank account. The job I do can be done remotely. The bank wouldn't need to know where I'm living most of the time wink

We'll see...

Hey GN

Thank you for answering half my questions by reading your thoughtful replies.

Still need to know whether you have to pay tax on rental income to the Japanese Government if you a charging and running the short term business from Aus for accomodation in Japan?

Any help would be good

Seemore