*fffttffffftffffftttttt... *prrrrrrrrp**

And yeah, its looking like furano has come out the winner after creeks complete (and right and true) destruction of kamui as a serious basing option... well, asahikawa smile

Furano, then dot about a bit i reckons. So now we come to cheap and cheerful budget accommodation questions. Where can one find a good variety of after dinner cheese that wont break ones 3500 per night budget? (cheese optional).

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

again, I unfortunately can't base this on experience, BUT as Furano is an actual town/city, I'd imagine that there are plenty budget options. Also there should be pubs and izakaya's for a lttle apres enjoyment before flaking out smile

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
again, I unfortunately can't base this on experience, BUT as Furano is an actual town/city, I'd imagine that there are plenty budget options. Also there should be pubs and izakaya's for a lttle apres enjoyment before flaking out smile

It's a real town of a town. I ;ove Furano. Lots of things to do and lots of things to buy as well as lots of things to eat.

If I was forced to live in Niseko or Furano, else my nads be cut off, I'd choose Furano.

Just found out that i accidentally ordered the 164 charlie slasher instead of the 158

(great vid that sums it up from last year - this years comes with sintered base instead of extruded)

Basically this means the pow has just become top priority smile Was thinking the 158 slasher was kinda mellow-big pow days and the quiver killer for days when i cant be assed riding the slasher.

The 164 just screwed that formula up, so now its the slasher for proper pow days, the quiver killer for all mountain days, and the sierrascope for hangover days smile Just need the horrorscope and i have my quiver set (though im bollocksed if im lugging 4 decks around hokkaido).

• 1 month later...

right, im a mere principal and vice principal vacation time signature away from crystalizing this thing.

The tentative plan is this: arrive tokyo on jan 8th via jeju air (dirt cheap) - stay at mates house, have a couple of drunken dancing nights. Then on monday, (via skymark) head up to asahikawa.

I leave asahikawa around 7th feb, and leave japan on the 8th.

Whee, 4 weeks in the pow.

So i reckons the plan will be this:

Buy furano season pass.

Spend season there (with a few day trips to kamui)

Find nice cheap accommodation in furano.

So er, anyone got any recommendations for cheap accommodation in furano? This plans all but finished smile

I can recommend Pension Lavender. Stayed there last season for a few weeks - good value, 100m or so to lifts and good breakfasts! Will be heading back in January.

I think the cheapest option close to the lifts is probably Furano Alpine Backpackers. They also run a bus to Kamui and Tomamu for day trips.

cheers dude! that was EXACTLY the info i wanted to know smile Now to get on the case and book my time off smile whee! getting stoked on this already. razz i really need another day on the indoor slope to remind me im too crap at this to have any legitimate reason to be as excited as i am.

Yeah, Pension Snowflake's good and also has a chilled-out bar and "genghis khan" bbq restaurant with (you'll be happy with this Ippy) dolsot bibimbab! Both Pension and Alpine Backpackers are in Kitanomine and about a 2 min walk to the gondola. I stayed at Alpine for 3 months last winter - it's a cool, laid-back place with friendly staff and a large, onsen -style bath to soak away those aches and pains clap I might be staying there myself if I can't wangle a winter-long job with free accommodation!! In any case I'll be in Furano when you're there Ippy, so will be happy to show you the ropes, or rather, where to duck under them wink

dude, definitely looking forward to it. And dont think i wont pester you, because i will you know razz

And first choice is definitely alpine backpackers since they seem to be involved in so much insane stuff. I mean for goodness sake, a hot air balloon ride? Learn to make your own bread and butter? bus trips to kamui without having to go further than my front door? Not to mention a nice cute in built onsen! ...and all this is at 2500/night with the prospect of long term rates too??? It feels like im stealing from them! razz

So hows about furano itself, whats there to do? Im a kiddie (even if im supposed to be a nice grown up easing towards the arse end of my youth), so even though i doubt theres a club or anything like that, i can still hope i just lucked out smile

Yeah, Alpine's a great place and would be my 1st choice!

Furano's definitely NOT a party town. It's more famous in Japan for its summer lavender fields and being the location of a tv drama rather a ski resort. There are some bars but don't expect it to be anything like Niseko, which for many is it's appeal wink IMO the best bar is Ajitos which is conveniently located about 50 metres away from Alpine cheers and means you can stagger and/or crawl home rather than get a taxi back from town!

wheee! it sounds great anyway!

So about furano, whats the park like? How crowded does it get? Hows the offpiste policy? Man, you KNOW i have thousands of questions eh razz

The "park" is hardly that - a small kicker and a rail I think, both on the Kitanomine side. Apparently there used to be a halfpipe on the Furano side but for some unfathomable reason it was filled in! wakaranai In any case, forget the park, Furano is all about the pow biggrin

There is still a no off-piste policy but as was mentioned previously in this post, it's not as strict as it was. If the lifties or ski patrol see you ducking ropes or catch you off piste then they will warn you but I didn't hear of anyone having passes taken away last year. As always, if you're sensible and subtle about where you go and drop in/pop out, you should be ok!

More famous last words, but Furano doesn't really get crowded! It's used by both local schools and the Self-Defence Force but they tend to stay on the lower slopes so you don't really get tangled up with them. Obviously weekends are busier than weekdays and so if you're staying for a few weeks, they're a good day to take off unless of course it dumps then it's every man for himself lol

ah thats a shame about the park, but since im not exactly a park rat anyway... :( But nimodo! hows about the nighta? is it worthwhile? I do love just bumbling out of bed around 12 and heading to the slopes around 2 or 3 for a bit of a dick around on lazy days smile Is it worthwhile? So many questions, sorry you have to answer them all smile

actually, i tell a lie, the lack of a park is unconsciously changing my mind. I thought this was all set, but no park it turns out, might in fact be a deal breaker smile

Since thats the case, and just on a whole nother level, Tomamu. Its got a park right? Its also got off piste, and its got pow. Whats the general area like, and hows the access/accommodation situation there?

dont be mad, but i reckon niseko has won this. It was really the 105,000 ticket price that put me off. I reckon ill just have 3 or 4 days up here for some pow shenanigans, but probably base at niseko now im finding ways around their mad price. razz

Tomamu does have a decent park, they had a fairly large half pipe and a whole range of kickers and rails last year. The accommodation/eating situation, however, is nothing like Furano. You are basically stuck in the resort complex and there isn't much choice. I don't think there is any cheap accommodation near the lifts. Maybe a few pensions, but I don't think they are within walking distance. It is best done as a day trip from Furano.

Last season, Furano had nighta on both sides of the mountain every night. In kitanomine it was just the bottom lift, which covers green runs only - but this includes the small park. When I did nighta in Feb, there were perhaps 20 people on the whole kitanomine side. So it is quite uncrowded to say the least.

I`d second what RedLotus said about both Tomamu and Furano`s nighta!

I`ve never been to Niseko but do want to check it out for a few days this winter, so will see you there instead wave

yay! ill still maybe pop up to furano though. Niseko gets pow, but when i was there it wasnt really ZOMG POW!!! It was in fact wind blasted or sun baked. There was pow somewhere to be found mind, but kinda like a good resort day powder rather than insane waist deep "what was i thinking????" powder. I hope those tortuous comparisons sum up my feelings on the matter smile

And tomamu was a consideration right up until i saw that its a resort in the middle of nowhere with two gigantic hotels next to another big giant hotel, next to a couple of expensive pensions. Aint gonna happen until im earning more money than i know what to do with.

Scotland represent!

From what I hear about Niseko, Furano doesn`t get as much pow (the most I experienced last winter was about 2 foot) but the locals say it`s much lighter, being further inland, etc, etc. Asahidake, however, is supposed to get shedloads, a "fact" I hope to substantiate this winter biggrin