For someone coming from North America.....

North America has pretty diverse snow conditions. Where are you from?

Compared to some areas of Canada: not as cold, drier powderier(new word!) snow, loads of developed resorts... smaller mountains...

Overall, I think the snow conditions are better here. The apres ski is almost non-existant at most resorts. Back country tends to very easily accessible. Most resorts were built with skiers in mind. Avalanche control is almost non-existant as well. Lift tickets are cheaper... etc

Compared to Canada/US West Japan has....

-->Incredible snow with powder on an almost daily basis when it starts going off

-->Short lifts that are sometimes shockingly poorly organized

-->No 'extreme' terrain/double diamond steep stuff on piste

-->BUT, lots of easy access trees and sidecountry

It's worth it for the snow, plus you can get a little J-culture too.

I fear my original post may have been a little to brief....

Have lived in the US on and off for three years and have some great mates there and had some of the best times of my life. The hospitality given to me on my viists has been sensational and beyond what I deserve.

The Japanese people I have met have a much different view on the entire world though, more in tune with mine and there is much I admire about the adventurous spirit of many of the Japanese people I have met over the years and much I like about entire country, even with its short comings, as all countrys have.

If I had to be surronded on a mountain by a group of people and had the choice of either country, hands down I'd pick Japanese folks. But I'd want to meet some of the American guys that had been on the hill that night in the bar smile

Not sure how to put it as my original statement was rather rash and a gross generalisation. But I have said it and so be it. In context and having travelled a bit I've been stunned by some of the boorish behaviour I've seen from Aussies and have actually shied away from meeting some when living OS. Then I've seen some guys give so much it almost moves me to tears.

I guess through no fault of their own most of the US guys I have met within the US (Travelers are often differnt) still believe they live in the best country on the planet and all others are inferior, even when this is contrary to some significant facts (In the past I thought Australia was the best place, but then am not so sure now). When you have to learn the names of 50 states and their capitals it doesnt leave a lot of time for global geograghy and political science. In my experience this leads to an insolar view of the planet and a belief that other countries are by nature inferior as the US is #1 and the christian god is the only god. Some people would call this view intolerant or perhaps ignorant, I really dont want to go that way as often that;s not the case but on occassions this comes across when you meet people, once again I truely believe through not fault of there own, just as Aussies used to be really laid back. Its just the way it is.

Im still meeting many US citizens in my travels that are awesome people with wordly views but often hear the same comments from them. It saddens me as the US has so much going for it.

I just dont get any of that in Japan. As I get older I prefer order over koas (although always seem to have a slight rebellous streak), love the way the hot rod and harley scene (and so many others) has been adopted, subverted, and unique styles developed as have they with many foriegn cultures taken on board. All this is done in an understated way and this comes through in a lot of the folks I meet in Japan.

Also that underneath some of the Japanese culture which is many centuries old and steeped in tradition where respect is an intergral theme there appears to be an undercurrent of subversive behaviour. That appeals to me as does the banzai attitude without having to draw everyone's attention to the action. Politness, couretsy, respect are three words that come to mind when I think of the Japanese people I have met, not sure if I get that as often with US and Aussie guys. In the 3 weeks I rode in Hakuba last season I didnt see any one cut a lift line, when there was one, and only a couple people rode up onto the back of my board in the lines. I didnt get that in Steamboat or Threadbo.

Having been the brash loud Aussie I now prefer to be around folks that are quieter and appear to be more reserved, whether they are or arent. Its just me. It isnt right, it isnt wrong, its just the way it is. As much as I love my US mates, I dont often get that feeling from them or their fellow conutry men/women and sadly many younger Australians appear headed in the same way. In Japan I do. So if I had to pick, that's why. Maybe with each additoinal trip I make what I learn may change that, Im not sure.

Or it just could be having bored you to death with that over simplistic, generalised and long winded response which lacks much merit, that I suffer little man's syndrome being 5'9" and its nice to be around people I'm often as tall as if not on occassion taller then, even if I am wider smile

After all that though I'd rather snowboard with a big group of Americans then surf with a group of Brazilians. That's a whole 'nother story though.

Tomorrow I will pick another country and group of people to malign and marginalise..... well actually I wont.

Cheers for the reply - I really see where you are coming from to be honest with you. For me it is the humbleness of the people on the slopes, The complete lack of Ego`s and one constant upmanship that I`ve seen in resorts at home and in Europe. Again a bit of a generalisation , but to quote the famous Aus movie `The Castle` it`s just the Vibe in inverted commas. Everybody is there for the same thing and why people can`t just get on with it grates me at western resorts. The Japanese are really good at that. they all seem to have fun on the slopes. You see a lot happy people mostly having a laugh on the fields here .

Originally Posted By: boardbaka
Cheers for the reply - I really see where you are coming from to be honest with you. For me it is the humbleness of the people on the slopes, The complete lack of Ego`s and one constant upmanship that I`ve seen in resorts at home and in Europe. Again a bit of a generalisation , but to quote the famous Aus movie `The Castle` it`s just the Vibe in inverted commas. Everybody is there for the same thing and why people can`t just get on with it grates me at western resorts. The Japanese are really good at that. they all seem to have fun on the slopes. You see a lot happy people mostly having a laugh on the fields here .

Can I just chime in to say --- I love that "vibe" of which you speak. When you are on the hill with others just out there for the fun of it, loving it and no one is checking out the next guy to see if his/her skills or fashion are better or worse than their own in a competitive way. No matter what the nationality of your compadre is biggrin

In the US I've skied mostly in Vermont and the Pacific north-west. Maybe there's more attitude in places like Colo but I've always found people who hang around mountains to be really cool and easy going. I dunno. I guess I know what you mean. But one thing I can say is that Americans are much better at queuing than Japanese.

Anyway, a good general rule in the US is that the closer you get to Canada, the cooler the people. razz